𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟓 (𝐅𝐮𝐥𝐥 𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫)

The dark-haired boy slumped down on the chair, feeling utterly exhausted and done with life. He had just completed the mission he was assigned to and was now waiting for someone to pick him up. Seated on the patio set outside a grocery store he grumbled under his breath- frustration seeping into every pore of his body. His eyes flickered over to the lonely white flower in his hand, his fingers gently hovering over its pristine white petals.

White symbolized purity and innocence.

Something he doesn't have.

How ironic.

Faint ringing of his phone interrupted his thoughts. He plucked his phone out of his jean pocket, fingers sliding across the screen as he answered the call.

"What's the status, Mark?" The person on the other end questioned, their tone stoic and nonchalant.

"Target eliminated. Reporting back to base." Mark's robotic voice replied. Silence loomed from the other end before the caller burst into fits of laughter, causing the corners of his lips to twitch into a small smile.

"Never gets old." Johnny grinned. "Anyways, I will send someone to pick you up. Don't be late for dinner or Kun would get cranky like the grumpy old ass man he is."

"Hey! I heard that!" Kun's offended voice was heard in the background.

"Gotta go, Mark. I will send someone, so stay put and don't wander off alone. Bye!"

'I am not a fucking child though' he mumbled to himself while stuffing his phone back into his pocket, dragging his hand over his face. Though he might never admit it out loud, he was secretly happy that he had them and that they cared about each other.

Abandoned by his family as a child and when he had nowhere to go, Taeyong took him in- treating him as his own brother. For that he would be forever grateful to him. Because with them, he found a family- something he had longed for since he was a child. They were not the type to openly express their adoration and affection for each other but you could feel it in their small sweet gestures. Like this.

They were not family by blood but by heart and loyalty.

Mark's mind drifted away as he pondered about his day, the world felt more distant and far from his reach- the demons in his head progressively seizing control of his thoughts. He was tired of doing this. Killing people even though they don't deserve to be treated as a living being.

It made him feel like a monster.

Guilt was clawing at his conscience and his chest suddenly became heavy. He gulped down the lump in his throat.

Mark's vision blurred with unshed tears as his heart clenched in despair. Every time his bullet left his gun, he felt empty. A dark, vicious void swallowing his soul every time he took a life. As if he was dying but not fully there yet.

The air around him became dense. Screams of agony of the people he had killed still painfully echoed in his head. Becoming overwhelmingly loud with each passing second. He clutched his head in an attempt to make them go away but they were persistent. Refusing to go.

Taunting him of the person he had become.

A ruthless killing machine who killed without an ounce of compassion. Mark felt himself slowly dissociating from his surroundings. Their cries for mercy, begging for a second chance to repent for their wrongdoings, rang out like a broken record being played over and over again. He couldn't get rid of it no matter how hard he tried.

Dead and vacant eyes staring back at him haunted him in his dreams.

But Mark has learned to live with it now- the constant pain, guilt and nightmares.