Ch. 15 - FIREFLIES

Start from the beginning

"What happens if we do? We just gonna hold them down until the sun comes up?" Isaac asked and Derek sighed, "Maybe it would be easier just to kill-" Derek started to say but Fallon cut him off. "No. We already lost Erica. We're not killing Boyd, and especially your little sister who you just got back after thinking she's been dead for over six years." Fallon said and Isaac sighed.

"What if it's the only thing to do? If we can't even catch them, what else can we do?" He asked and Fallon shrugged slightly, "Find someone who knows what they're doing." She said as she glanced over at Scott.

"Who?" Derek asked and Scott looked at him, "Someone who knows how to hunt Werewolves."

Engine off, Derek and Fallon sat in the front seat of Derek's car while Issac sat in the back as the watched Scott talking to Argent just a few yards away. "You think this is going to work?" Isaac asked and Derek shook his head, "No." He said and Isaac nodded slightly.

"Me either. So... your sister." Isaac started making Derek slowly turn an incredulous gaze on Isaac while Fallon just chuckled. "Sorry. Bad timing. I'll ask later." Isaac said and Derek raised his eyebrows slightly making Isaac's eyes widen slightly, "Or never. I'm good with never." Isaac said before sitting back while Derek and Fallon glanced at each other.

Back in the woods, Argent drops an equipment bag on the ground in front of Scott, Isaac, Derek, and Fallon before kneeling to examine the numerous prints in the dirt. "You've been tracking them by print?" He asked and Fallon shrugged slightly, "Trying to." She said.

"Then you've been wasting your time. The only creature on earth that can visually track footprints is man. And if you're not trained like me you have no idea that this print is Boyd's and these-" Argent said as he pointed at a footprint, "Are Cora's." Isaac said confidently.

"No, they're yours. You trampled Cora's when you first walked over here." Argent said and Isaac lifts his foot to back up then doesn't seem to know where to step. "Listen, I know the three of you..." Argent said looking at Scott, Derek and Isaac, "Are focusing half your energy on resisting your own urges under the full moon, but that puts you at a severe disadvantage to Boyd and Cora, who have fully given in. They put the pedal to the floor where you three are barely hitting the speed limit."

"So what do we do."

"Focus on your sense of smell. Actual wolves are known to track their prey by up to a hundred Miles a day by scent. A trained hunter can use scent to track them. If the wind is with them, wolves can track a scent by a distance of two miles, which means we can draw them to us... Or into a trap. Full moon does give us one advantage. They'll have a higher heat signature, which makes them easier to spot with infrared." Argent said as he tossed Derek some night vision goggles. "Thanks but I've got my own." Derek said flashing his red eyes.

"Just remember we're not hunting wild animals. Underneath those impulses are two intelligent human beings. Don't think they can't rely on that human side. It's suppressed but it's there. Reminding them how to mask their own scent. How to cover their tracks. How to survive."

Stepping toward the edge of the cliffside, Argent and the others look out to the brilliant lights of the town. "When was the last time you saw your sister?" Argent asked looking at Derek, "Not in years. I thought she died in the fire." Derek said.

"You feel like you have a lock on her scent?" Argent asked and Derek shook his head and Argent looked at Fallon, "How about you? Do you have their scent or their energy?" He asked and she sighed. "Scent, not enough. Energy feels like it's all over the place." She said and Argent nodded slightly, "Scott, how confident are you in your skills?" He asked.