4.1

Billy's lips trail down my neck on my bed. He unbuttons my shirt to kiss the scar near my collarbone, wrapping his hand loosely around my neck. I put my head back in the pillow as he continues to trail his lips around my chest. His hands trail down my body and my hands tug at his hair.

My phone starts ringing. I'm about to let it ring, but Billy mumbles, "Answer it," against my skin.

I grab the phone and slide it open, answering the call from Sid. "Hey, Sid," I say, clearing my throat as Billy starts kissing my chest rougher. "What's up?"

"Are you in the car?" she asks.

"No," I say. "I'm in my house. What's up?"

"We have to start our book reading in ten minutes."

"Shit," I groan. "Uh, yeah, I can make it there in five."

"It takes you ten minutes to get on the highway to Woodsboro," she says.

"It does," I say, nodding. "But I know backroads, and I know how to ignore speed limit signs. I'll see you in five." I hang up and put the phone back down. "Billy, I have to leave," I say, "like now."

"You always have to leave," he groans.

I kiss his lips, then get off the bed, rebuttoning my shirt back up before grabbing a blazer with a few silver charms and small chains on it to match my black skirt. I grab my gun and put it in the holster in my right combat boot, then shove my phone in my pocket.

Billy grabs my waist and pulls me towards him, placing his lips on mine. He pulls away and hands me my lipstick. I smile and thank him, kissing him one last time before grabbing my crossbody bag and getting out of the house quickly.

I get in the car, start it, and get out of my driveway in record time. After turning down a few different roads, I get on the backroads and speed through them, turning up the radio.

If you're wondering how I can get to this town that is about half an hour away in less than ten minutes—I have my ways. All of which are definitely illegal.

I turn into Woodsboro and find the bookstore we're supposed to meet at. Parking behind a car, I flip down the sun visor and flip up the mirror cover, quickly applying my lipstick before getting out of the car.

I see Sidney standing and looking at the Ghostfaces hanging on light poles. I walk up beside her. "Feels great to be back, huh?" I ask sarcastically.

She turns to me. "You made it."

"You thought I wasn't going to?" I ask, then turn back to the Ghostfaces. "I fucking hate this town."

"What do you think?" Rebecca asks, coming over to us.

"Well, I guess today is the anniversary," Sid says.

I adjust the bag on my shoulder. "Way to make me feel old," I mumble.

"Kids," Rebecca says, then points to the window of the bookstore. "I meant the display."

We walk over to the window and look at the book display of our book that we wrote together. "It's good," Sid says, nodding.

"I told the owner I'd kill his cat if he didn't get it right," Rebecca says.

"That's comforting," I say before walking into the store.

"Okay, we're gonna start the book signing in a sec," Rebecca says once Sid and I are done doing our reading, "so buy your copies while they last. I'm looking at you, ladies. New York Best Seller. Rave reviews."

Sid and I both turn after nudging each other. I stop when I see Gale walking towards us with a smile. I nudge Sid, and she turns to see Gale.

"Gale," I say, walking over to her and giving her a hug.

"I'm glad you came," Sid says.

"Congratulations, guys," Gale says to us. "I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but..."

"I know where you can get one," Sid jokes, hugging Gale. "Dewey! Hey," she says, releasing Gale to hug Dewey.

"Hey, Sid," he says, then hugs me. "Hey, D. Gale, you made it." I release him when I hear sirens approaching.

I sigh. "That's never a good sign," I say.

"What's going on, Dewey?" Gale asks.

"Sid, D, I'm sorry, I gotta do something here," Dewey says, running a hand through his hair and turning as cop cars stop in front of the store. "I'm really sorry." Gale comes over to me and Sid. "Excuse me! This will only take a minute! I need you all to stay where you are and remain silent."

An officer comes in the store and pushes people that are trying to leave back. "Nobody leaves yet," she says to them. "The sheriff thanks you."

"Can this wait, Barney Fife? I'm running an event here."

"Can it, Rebecca," I say, shutting her up.

"What's going on?" Gale asks Dewey.

"This is police business, Gale," the cop says. "If you could just let us handle this."

"I'm talking to my husband, Deputy Judy," Gale snaps.

Dewey turns to Gale. "Listen," he says, "there's a phone we believe may have been taken from the scene of a crime. Deputy Hicks has traced its location to these coordinates."

"Mm, good for her," I deadpan.

"Thanks," she says to me.

"I was being sarcastic."

Dewey shakes his head. "The rest is need-to-know."

"I'm not need-to-know?" Gale asks, and Hicks shushes her.

Dewey walks forward, dialing a number. "Sheriff, it's ringing out here!" an officer says. We all follow the officers outside as the run to the car that I'm parked behind.

"Dewey," Sid says as her, Gale, and I all stand next to the car.

"Gonna need everyone to stay back!" the woman officer says.

"Not now, Sid," Dewey says.

"It's my rental," Sid says. Rebecca makes a face and flashes the keys before tossing them to Dewey.

Dewey catches the keys and opens the trunk. Everyone gasps at what's inside. A ripped poster of the book cover with what looks like blood all over it. A copy of the book destroyed, and pages from the book with blood splatters on them. A knife is sitting next to an open and ringing phone, which is also next to a Ghostface mask.

"What a comforting welcome home gift," I say, tilting my head to the side.

Dewey turns to everyone else. "Okay, it's now an official crime scene. Let's lock it down. Get that camera outta here. Everybody back."

"Pleas tell me this is a prank, Dewey," Sid says.

"I'm afraid not, Sid," Dewey says.