This Broken Heart of Mine (Chapter 40/ End of Part 1)

The final chapter of the first part....

No spoilers or TWs

She blinks slowly, everything's white. Draken sits across from her with a smile on his face. The smile holds an unbearable pain behind it.

Is this what it's like to be dead? Is she really dead?

"Ken," she murmurs. Her hand reaches out towards him slowly, but he seems to stare straight through her.

"I love you so much, (Y/N)-Chan. You... what'll I do with this broken heart of mine?" He sighs, covering his face with his hands. (Y/N) retracts her hand, watching small tears fall from between his fingers, "How can I live like this? You..." he trails off, a sob escaping his throat, "Dammit!"

Her heart breaks, listening to his sobs. He looks so small and breakable.

"It's over, it's all over. Everything for nothing! You're gone and it's my fucking fault," his voice shakes, "I should have protected you! I'm such an idiot."

He runs his hands through his tousled hair, huge tears dripping down his face. He rubs his sleeve across his cheeks, but more tears come and take the place of the old ones.

"You..." he trails off, opening and shutting his mouth, unable to speak. He looks back up at (Y/N), and still, it's like he's looking straight through her.

"Ken," (Y/N) whispers, her own voice shaking, "it's not your fault...." And as she says it, Draken stands up, wiping his tears once more, and turning his back towards her. Wordlessly, he walks away, his spirits broken. He looks so defeated.

Slowly, (Y/N) watches his figure disappear behind the screen of white fog and she's alone. All alone with her thoughts. Is she really dead? Is this what the afterlife is like? Pure whiteness. It isn't that bad, she just wishes she could see her friends.

There's a distant beeping. It annoys her, but she continues on looking at the place Draken had once been sat. Suddenly, Mikey speaks to her.

"(Y/N)-Chin, please. Don't leave me alone like this. How d'you expect me to take care of Ken-Chin all on my own?" His voice shakes too, "dammit, I thought we would have more time with you. Please don't leave, I'm not ready to lose you."

And his voice is gone too. The fog picks up and surrounds her. It makes her tired and her eyelids become heave, she breathes slowly, a small smile coming over her. This is what it feels like to be at peace.

Her eyes snap open. She isn't at peace. Peace is with Draken and Mikey. Her people need her.

But this place is so comfortable. Can't she just stay for a few minutes more?

(Y/N) breathes deeply, her eyes closing again and refusing to open, and then she is gone.

***

Draken stands over her motionless body, his tears falling down his face quickly. He feels completely empty, as if all feeling has been sucked out of his body.

Hinata, Takemichi, Chifuyu, and Mitsuya all stand around the room, Mikey pacing back and forth. Nobody speaks. Nobody looks Draken in the eye.

"We should get going," Mitsuya croaks. "The doctors will tell us when she wakes up. Let's go eat."

Nobody says anything. Takemichi and Chifuyu numbly follow him out of the room. Mikey tugs on Draken's sleeve, and he gives (Y/N) one final look. At least she looks at peace.