f o r t y

f o r t y

It is only the next day that the weather allows Jack to come over. I remembered Edward mentioning that due to spirits interfering in some moments of my life, Alice cannot foresee those parts of my future. At first, I wasn't bothered at all by this fact, but after yesterday, I wish it was different.

I woke up gasping this morning, as I felt Alex Kim's cold fingers grabbing me in my sleep. After that nightmare, I didn't dare to go back to rest again. Flynn checked in on me during the night, scared that something might happen while I sleep. Once he noticed I was awake, he had brought me some hot chocolate, knowing that it soothed me.

At around 8 this morning, after I was able to shower and get dressed in more comfortable clothing, I continued some of yesterday's homework. It frustrates me that I am being forced to stay off at home for the next few days, until my injuries have healed, and the swelling has gone off a bit. Flynn brought me some soup, and I cannot help but wonder if he feels a tad bit guilty about the whole incident. I would never blame him, he is not at fault at all, but I wonder if there's another reason besides the 'the adult son of the family my late daughter hexed and indirectly murdered eighteen years ago, strangled my granddaughter'.

"Hey."

I look up from my Math equation, noticing Jack standing in the threshold of my room. He stands with folded arms and leans against the hard wood of the doorway, his amber eyes focusing on me. Even though it's only been three days, my soul reaches for him and begs him to come closer. It is like the yearning that will never be soothed, unless he is with me.

I open my mouth to greet back, but remember the doctor's orders to remain mute for the next couple of days, until my throat doesn't feel like it catches on fire each time I speak. Instead, I smile with tight lips at Jack and pat the space next to me, inviting him to join me on the bed. He crosses the wooden floor, and after a moment's hesitation, he sits down next to me, kicking off his shoes before putting his feet on my bed.

I wonder why he isn't in school, especially since he's already been absent for two days. If he continues this streak, they'll have to hold him back, or he'll need to attend summer school.

Jack's stare is guarded and careful as he assesses my injuries, from my braced neck to the bandaged leg. It luckily isn't bleeding any more. It reminds me of the day I had to get stitches in my hand - now, at least, I'll have matching scars. My hand is better, and the scars aren't even that deep, but it'll be there for a very long time. White and rippled against my skin. The look in Jack's eyes, is the kind that my mother used to give me whenever she found out I was lying to her.

"I should've been there", Jack whispers after a silence that had made me uneasy. My expression turns from confused to frowning, as I realize that is what the disappointment was. He is not angry with me, he's angry with himself, for not being there. Even despite him not being at fault at all, for an event that was set in motion eighteen years ago, he will still manage to blame no one but himself. In the graying light of rolling clouds that darkens our town, his silhouette looks tragic enough to romanticize. I want to tell him that I don't blame him, not even an ounce, and never will. Bad things are going to happen to me, and I know Jack will always try his best to protect me. The thing is, tragedy shapes you and makes you wise enough to tackle the next calamity.

"I should have been there", he says a bit louder, balling the bedsheets into his hands. I want to tell him that I was the one who insisted on some space after what happened in the cafeteria on Monday, but I feel like mentioning that topic would only turn the mood from tense to depressing.

"I should have protected you, and I failed", he declares with defeat, letting his head hang forward. His curls are windswept and I know he ran over, as soon as he thought I was awake. I put my homework to the side, and crawl over to Jack, careful not to put too much pressure on my leg. Jack looks up at my advancing figure, and automatically reaches out to take ahold of me. He folds his arms around me as I sit in his lap, placing my legs along his and pulling myself closer to him. Jack rests his head against my shoulder, although I can't see how that is possible with the brace in the way, and sighs deeply in both contentment and shame. My fingers curl into his hair, playing with the dark locks.