Chapter 31

Hey there guys! ILY ALL YAY OKAY THANKS FOR READING THIS.

I just realized there's probably people older than me reading this and that's like woah. So yeah hope you had an awesome day and hope you enjoy!

~*~*~

Isabelle was sitting by Jace's bed, watching him and thinking about Alec leaving when it happened. Jace began to shake, still in his coma.

"Jace!" Isabelle shouted, grabbing his shoulders. "Jace!" She said again.

Then she saw where his hands were reaching, up to his shoulder. His mouth was open, silently screaming. Jace's hands clawed at the fabric of his shirt, ripping it.

Then Isabelle saw the source of his pain, Jace's parabatai rune glowing then dimming to a silvery color. Isabelle knew what that meant, the connection was gone.

"Alec," Isabelle whispered, laying her head on Jace's trembling chest. Alec was gone, she knew it. And through her choked sobs and Jace's shaking, Isabelle formed one thought.

Alec had given up love.

~*~*~

Alec woke up to blinding white lights and straps on his wrists. He opened his eyes slowly, gently, and took in the strobe light on the ceiling. It was one of those super fake ones - like the ones in school, and it was absolutely blinding him.

His hands were tied down, and Alec wondered why they were. The last thing he remembered was a warlock (Pete? Patrick? Alec still didn't know.) performing a spell on him. What the spell was for, Alec had no idea. It was like there was this big gaping hole in his memory, and this one word, this one word Alec couldn't remember, was gone. He could sense it in the air, don't ask him how, it was just like things were different.

"Hello?" Alec said to the empty air, pulling slightly against the straps on his legs and wrists. They didn't feel all that wrong, but still, they were uncomfortable.

"Hello?" Alec said again, but this time Alec heard a door behind him open. He couldn't see it, all he could see was the artificial light above him, but he could hear the light footsteps of someone younger than him. Alec's shadowhunter senses toldg him it was two someone's.

The straps were removed from his wrists, and Alec turned his head to try and see who it was, but all he could see were two hands belonging to a girl. A part of Alec was screaming Kara, Kara, it's Kara, Sebastian's daughter, but Alec has no emotions tied to Kara, or to Sebastian, just memories. Alec found this rather odd, but when he tried to think more about it a dull throb began at the back of his head, so he stopped.

Alec sat up once the wrist and leg bondages were removed, and looked at his captors. Well, maybe captors wasn't the right word, Alec felt no anger at them what so ever, just a healthy curiousness.

Standing in front of him were two twins, and Alec's brain jumped on their names. Kara and Ben.

"Hello Alexander, do you remember us?" The girl, Kara, asked.

Alec reached back into his brain and grabbed a recent memory, one of the two of them trapping him in a cold, cement room. Now any logical person would have probably felt angry at this point, and punched them, but Alec didn't feel any of that. All he felt was that void like when you meet a new person, and you're waiting to make an assumption about them.

"Yes," Alec said, even though all he had was memories and no emotion.

"And...how do you feel about us?" Ben inquired.

Alec furrowed his eyebrows. "Nothing, really."

"Interesting," Ben remarked before turning to whisper to his sister. Alec wondered what they were talking about, why he was here, and everything really. He didn't have an itching urge to go anywhere, he remembered his sister Isabelle, and his brother Jace, but he saw no reason to go to them. Alec didn't have a problem being here, he just wanted to know why he was here, and where "here" actually was.

Alec tried to focus in on Kara and Ben's conversation, hoping he could find something out.

"He doesn't feel hate," Kara whispered. " It must come hand and hand with love."

And there it was, that word Alec had been missing. Love. What did it mean? Alec had no idea. He felt as if the word was just slipping out of his grasp, and Alec was reaching, jumping for it, but somehow he just couldn't get it.

Alec tried to push the feeling away and he continued to listen.

"What do you think he remembers about you-know-who?" Ben replied after he had agreed with Kara's earlier comment.

You-know-who? Alec had no idea who they were talking about, but he was pretty sure wasn't Voldemort.

Kara turned back to Alec, who's head was swimming with questions. He needed to know a lot of things, like what that spell was for, and why he was here.

"What do you remember about Magnus?" Kara asked quietly, as if she was afraid what Alec might say.

The name brought swirling memories back, really confusing memories. Alec could see Magnus' face, even if he didn't close his eyes. Alec could see Magnus kissing him, but it was yet another emotionless memory. Alec wondered why he would kiss another boy, it's not like they could have children and continue the bloodline. The memory puzzled Alec, along with the ones where Magnus whispered "I love you" on dark nights into his ear. There was that word again, love. What did it mean? Alec didn't know.

Alec didn't tell them any of this, it felt private for some reason, but he didn't know why. "Where am I?" He said instead.

"I asked you what you remember about Magnus." Kara bit back. Okay, this girl was slightly unstable. Alec did remember her being insecure and a little physco, but he didn't remember ever being mad at Kara for it.

"Tell me why I'm here and what happened to me and then I'll answer your questions." Alec countered. He didn't want to talk about Magnus, something was nagging him not to, but he didn't have a choice if he wanted information.

Kara sighed, and so did Ben, they obviously didn't want to give information either. "Fine," Kara said. "We poisoned your brother Jace, you remember him, right?"

Alec nodded, he remembered having fun with him as a child, and becoming parabatai. But some of the memories didn't have emotion, like when he said yes when Jace asked Alec to be his parabatai, and when Alec saw Jace with Clary. And surprisingly, Alec didn't mind if Jace had been poisoned. Yes, you shouldn't poison someone, but Kara and Ben must've had a reason for it.

"We told you the only way to save him was to have a specific spell performed on you. A spell to remove love." Kara explained.

So that's what the spell was about. I lost love, that's why some of my memories are missing emotion. But what is love.

"What is love?" Alec asked, speaking his thoughts.

"A weak emotion." Ben cut off his sister as she opened her mouth to speak.

"Then isn't it good to have it gone?"

"Yes. Now you promised to answer our questions." Kara smiled, and Alec recognized that smile, an evil smile. But Kara wasn't evil, and even if she was Alec wouldn't hate her for it.

So Alec answered everything they asked him, because they were just kids, and all he was saying was just words.