Chapter 26

Thank you all for 2k reads! It means a ton. This is my favorite book of all mine so you don't have to worry about me ever stopping in the middle. love you all.

•°•°•

Alec couldn't breath. He had figured they weren't done with Kara and Ben but here they come, getting into the Institute. Leaving another copy of the spell. And a...note? Really? They must have something for old fashioned threats.

"What does the note say?" Alec asked shakily, handing the spell back.

Magnus closed his eyes slowly, then handed the note over. "Read at your own risk." He said. "God, they're devious."

Alec hesitantly took the note and tried to read.

Dear Shadowhunters (and annoying warlock),

"What's going on?" Maryln asked, as Alec tried to keep reading.

"Maryln!" The Inquisitor scolded. She yelled back at him, then Magnus began to explain the spell, the note, everything.

Alec tried to concentrate on the words but it was like they were flowing right through him. The noise of Magnus' voice was floating around the room as he explained, and Alec couldn't think, much less concentrate.

"I'll be outside. It's hard to read in here." Alec said, stepping out of the room.

Magnus looked at him, his eyes worried. By the Angel, what was in this letter? "Come back inside after you finish it, okay?"

"Okay Magnus." Alec said, and Magnus smiled weakly before closing the door and continuing his explanation.

Alec leaned against the wall and slowly slid down, picking the letter back up and starting over.

Dear Shadowhunters (and annoying warlock),

You probably thought you'd seen the last of us. You rescued your precious little shadowhunter, and saved him from losing love. We really wanted to see that, watch Magnus suffer, watching an Alec who could not love him back. It would be beautiful, wouldn't it?

Anyway, you made it out but not without injuries we hear. Sources have informed us your precious Jace is harmed. Demon poison, right? Well that wasn't any ordinary demon. The Silent Brothers can't help him. That decieveing warlock of yours can't do anything either.

You're only hope to save Jace is the treatment we have. And we won't just give it to you. We want the warlock to perform the spell on Alexander and bring him to us. All you have do is remove love from little Alec using that spell, deliver him to us at the same spot we were before, and leave. Come back the same time the next day and your cure will be sitting there in place of Alec.

Alec will be off with us and we will use him as a subject to be sure the spell works properly. And don't you dare try anything, we will kill him. Wouldn't want that, would you?

Now do not hesitate to follow the directions above, this offer ends in three days. Good luck, and we know you will make the right decision.

Sincerely,
Kara & Ben

Alec was silent. He banged his head against the wall and let the letter fall out of his hands. There was only one option.

Alec let his mind run in circles. The possibilities were endless. He could do this...he could do that.

After what seemed like forever Alec peeled his eyes open and looked through his tears at his shoulder. His parabatai rune was still sitting there, still reminding him that he had Jace.

And Alec had made an oath. He had to help Jace. He had to. He knew the others wouldn't approve, that's why he would have to do it himself. He would have to turn himself in. He would have to lose love. He would have to lose Magnus.