Chapter 34

A/N: The image above does not belong to me. It belongs to the person who uploaded it on the internet.

Berkah's POV

I was loading my SUV with merchandise that I had bought from the island's largest supermarket to replenish the stock in my parents' grocery outlet when my phone started to ring. It was a generic ringtone so I ignored it, thinking that it might be a telemarketer who would just be wasting my precious time.

I set the last box containing assorted snacks over a case of soft drinks in the back of my SUV before settling into the driver's seat.

Out of curiosity, I fished out my phone from my pocket to see who had just called me. Oh shit, it was Gun who had just called me and I had totally ignored his call thinking that it was a telemarketer trying to reach me. I had added him to my list of contacts  but I had forgotten to assign a special ringtone for him.

I noted the time on my phone screen. It was exactly twelve noon. Gun must be on his lunch break.

I tapped on his number. He answered on the first ring.

"Hello," his voice was soft and melodious just like how he sounded when he and I bid each other good bye on my last day at the villa.

"How are you doing?" I asked him.

"I'm ... I'm fine," I heard him say but he sounded agitated and his voice quivered a little.

"Gun, tell me the truth, are you alright?" now I was starting to get worried over him.

"Are ... are you able to come and see me later this evening?" I heard him ask. I could plainly hear that he was talking in a tearful voice and I hated that I was far away from him.

"Of course," I said. "Pick you up at six later this evening?"

"Yes, yes, please," he said, his voice still sounding tearful.

"Alright then," I said. "Wait for me at the curbside in front of the villa at exactly six."

"I will, thank you, Berkah, I really appreciate that you can come to see me at such short notice," I heard him say.

"Hey, you can call me anytime and I'll come running," I assured him, all my loving feelings for Gun coming back to the fore. I had suppressed whatever feelings I had for him during my employment at the villa because I did not want any complications arising while I was working there, but now that I was no longer working for Mr. Siwat and I had my own business to run with my parents, I felt free to let Gun know exactly how I felt about him. There would no longer be any holding back. Both Gun and I were now free to love each other and be together forever.

I tried to focus on my work the rest of the day. My mother noticed that I seemed preoccupied and was making a few minor mistakes in running our grocery outlet but thankfully she did not say anything about it. However I noticed how she seemed to be studying me intently.

She did not seem surprised when I told her that I needed to go out of town. All she asked was "Where exactly out of town?"

"Back to the villa," I said, smiling sheepishly.

She raised an eyebrow at me.

"You forgot something from there?" she asked, sounding a bit curious now.

'More like someone, not something,' I almost made the correction out loud.

"I just need to meet up with a former co-worker to sort out some unfinished business," I replied.

For a moment it looked like she wanted me to say something more but when she noticed that I was reluctant to divulge anything more, she turned away from me saying, "Drive safely along those narrow winding stretches of road."

"I will be careful," I promised her.

Five o'clock could not come fast enough for me. I needed an hour's allowance to get to the villa at exactly six in the evening.

Finally when five o'clock came, I told my mom that I was leaving for the villa. She told me not to worry and that she would take over our grocery business until closing time.

I thanked her with a kiss on her forehead and quickly walked over to where I had parked my SUV on the road fronting our business establishment.

I tried not to drive recklessly especially on those narrow long and winding stretch of road leading to town before getting to the road leading to the villa.

I earned a long loud honk from a lorry driver whom I overtook and almost got sideswiped by him.

Gun was already standing at the curbside when I neared the villa. I pressed my foot on the accelerator to reach him more quickly.

I parked my car right in front of where he stood and jumped out of the SUV.

I rushed towards him and we gave each other a tight hug.

Our passionate embrace would have been longer had we not heard a voice behind us.

"Good to see you again, Berkah."

Gun and I broke apart and turned to see Mr. Siwat studying both of us intently.