sixteen

My throat desperately burned, and everything hurt. My body was so exhausted, but everything came racing through my mind like a shot of adrenalin. I could hear nothing, just the silence within the room, and that terrified me.

My eyes opened slowly, desperate to look around me. I was curled up into a bed in the corner of a small room, my hands tied together in front of me. I lifted my wrists to my teeth slowly, pulling at the rope with my teeth. It didn't budge, to tight against my skin for one hand to simply slip through.

"Shit." I croaked out, shutting my eyes at the pain that came through me. My throat was like a wildfire, one I doubted water would help put a dent in.

I glanced around the giant bed, my eyebrows furrowing. The frame was an iron one, my lip pulling between my teeth as I tried to figure out where the hell I was. I winced as I sat all the way up, glancing down at my dirty clothes. At least they didn't try to change me.

My feet were bare as I stood, a sigh escaping me before I turned back to the bed. I used my foot to break off a piece, wincing as I felt it cut it. The blood was warm as I sat it back onto the ground, using the sharp edge to break my ropes off my wrist.

I walked to the door, shoving my good shoulder against it when the knob didn't turn. I grunted, the wood door was surprisingly heavy. It didn't want to budge, and it was pissing me off more and more.

"Let me out." I whispered, my fists banging onto the wood. "Let me out!"

I started coughing, the burning enveloping my lungs as I bent over. I held my hand to my throat, trying to stop the tears that were forming. The door opened, hitting me and knocking me off balance as I backed myself as far against the wall as I possibly could.

Volto stood in front of me with his mask on again, his head cocked to the side like a curious puppy. I grit my teeth as the corner of my lip lifted in a snarl, everywhere burning as I forced myself up. He stood, watching me struggle to stand. I held myself against the wall, my chest heaving as I stared at him.

"What do you want?" I asked him harshly while curiosity won over me. He simply held up a cell phone, taking a photo of me. The flash stunned me, my eyes wide as I stared at him.

And just like that he left, leaving me to stand there completely and utterly confused.

*  *  *

I had no sense of time in this windowless room, the door wouldn't budge. My throat was dry, my stomach rumbling for at least the fortieth time. I'd been in and out of consciousness, with really nothing better to do than sleep.

I was starting at the door, like I'd been doing so for hours now. I'd run out if things to try and use to get out. I don't know if the door had metal latches in the outside or maybe it was real, solid wood that wouldn't budge for anything.

I rushed forward as noise sounded, the door swinging open as Volto stepped forward again. His feet were quick, his hand wrapping itself around my throat fast enough that I didn't have time to react. He was stronger than I thought, using a single hand to lift me above the ground.

My nails dug into his skin, the sound of my choking filling the room before he dropped me completely. I coughed as I tried to inhale, that burning coming back even worse as I cried.

"Stop, please." My voice couldn't go above a whisper, but if the movement of his head was anything to go by he heard me.

It was the sound of a gun cocking that made the blood bleed from my skin, the barrel of it staring directly at me. "We leave, let's go."