Preface

The Town Whispers is a narrative horror podcast that will tell the many stories behind the rain, and the fog, and the trees of a town called The Fort - where folk horrors and eldritch terrors collide.

The story collected herein are the transcripts of that story. As such, some prose and presentation might feel odd or foreign, but it is meant to be read both, as an independent and standalone story, as well as an aid for those who may be hard of hearing or having audio processing difficulties. So while it would have been my immediate instinct to novelize the story in a more traditional manner - I have, instead, chosen not too. Instead, I will release the transcripts with minimal edits over the period of the next few weeks. 

Is it shockingly difficult to read? No, no it is not. The dialogue is written to be spoken by either myself or an actor, and resembles a script where it denotes the speaker, and then the words spoken, and there is the occasional sound que that, without making note of it, the story would lose direction, and become difficult to follow at times. Instead of saying "we swung the rock and it collided with the side of their head", instead it reads like: "we swung the rock [sound of crushing bone]", and that's only every few chapters. 

The Town Whispers, as a podcast, launched nearly a year ago. Within that time span, it has amassed well over 100,000 words to it's telling. And has been listened too, and downloaded over 700,000 times. 

Now, it is my distinct pleasure to present the story in yet another format, and one very close and dear to my heart. 

As a child I read, and I read, and I read. There was little else to do.

I went to school many kilometers away from where I lived, I had no friends nearby, and the characters in my many overdue library books are what kept me company through long, wet, and startlingly cold winters. 

It has always been my dream to write, and I'm ashamed it's taken this long. 

In elementary school I wrote plenty and shared it, but in high school my writing became private, and when it became private it felt rotten or wrong to spend my time writing, and the longer it had been since someone had read what I had written, the worse it became in my own head. 

I spent my college years binding my words to small notebooks between classes, and half edited short stories handed back and forth between me and my professors. 

Finally, in my adult life, as work consumed far to many hours of each day, I daydreamed about a town. 

Those daydreams, poems, short stories, film vignettes, and photography projects became The Fort, and the telling of it's story is known as 'The Town Whispers'. 

Thank you, to everyone who has lived in The Fort with me.