CH. 31 Donkey Kong

Start from the beginning

I chuckled, "Mary," I rephrased, "how can I help?"

Rosemary's mom instructed, "Toss the salad," she pointed to the lettuce and toppings. "It's all prepared."

Nosy like, Rosemary sneaked a peek at what her mom had gotten started on, "Yummy! Your special pasta?" Her eyes grew big and I could see how hungry she got all of a sudden.

Mary nodded, "Yes, when you told me that Violet was blessing us with her presence tonight, I just knew I had to make it," she confirmed. Mary made her way towards me as I was grabbing the salad bowl. "Not to brag but you're going to love my special creamy tomato spinach pasta!" She guaranteed.

"It's the best! No fancy restaurant you've ever been to compares to it," Rosemary backed it up.

"Speaking of! Rosemary has the magic touch to make the best garlic bread!" Mary bragged proudly.

Hmm, magic touch? I could absolutely vouch for that!

I cleared my throat, "Do you guys cook together a lot?"

Mary frowned as she glanced at Rosemary, "We used to but have not gotten the chance too often since we've registered her in Montgomery," she explained.

Rosemary added, "But we try to when I come home."

Mary smiled widely, "I enjoy our bonding time!"

How beautiful was that? A mom who actually bonded with their daughter! Something I wish I had. Instead, I only got lectured and punished when I came across my parents.

"Soooo mom, are you and dad having date night tonight?" Rosemary changed the conversation. Did I have a saddened face without realizing it? Was that why she did that? Oh fuck.

"I'm not sure yet," Mary answered.

After placing the lettuce into the bowl, I threw in the toppings and tossed the salad.

Honestly, Rosemary's family felt like home. Being here felt like a real home. Like the ones I watched in movies. Not what I had. A mansion filled with furniture but no real family. The bonding while cooking. Talking about endless topics. Laughing. Enjoying each other's company. It was all so real.

-

At the dinner table, we ate and shared a glass of wine. Well, Rosemary's parents only allowed us to have half a glass. According to them, they didn't really approve of it.

"So Mr. Myles, where do you plan on taking your wife out tonight?" I asked once they confirmed that they were going to head out after dinner.

Mrs. Myles chuckled, "Call him Ross," she allowed. "He hates feeling old too," she added.

Rosemary's dad laughed, "Well Violet, I'm going to take her to her favorite desert place," he answered.

Mary clarified, "It's just an ice cream shop."

"But you love it!" Nonetheless, Ross wanted to spoil her. Sweetly, he leaned in and kissed her temple. Seriously, that was extremely adorable! Glancing at Rosemary, I saw her admirably smiling as she watched her parents. My heart fluttered warmly at the sight of that.

How nice that they still had date nights. They were still in love. No matter the years, they still made time for each other. Something my parents didn't do or cared about. I wished they did. I used to think that people got married and then were supposed to act distant. A marriage was a more of a business deal. But I never felt it in my heart. I believed more in fairytales. In where true love existed. Way more than a business deal. A feeling.

Maybe I was moving too fast but I was feeling that with Rosemary. With her, I was believing more in fairytales.

Rosemary gasped, "Violet, you haven't even tried my garlic bread yet!" She acted hurt.