𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐓𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐎𝐧𝐞 - 𝑨𝒍𝒆𝒙

Same, JK. Same.

Alex had been crammed in the backseat of the world’s tiniest car for two hours. It was hot, uncomfortable, and not even Savannah’s friendly ribbing could get him out of his bad mood.

Especially when River and Mihai were getting along so well in the front seat.

They were happily chatting about research practices and what they were each doing for their master’s theses and what they hoped to go into for their doctorates.

She was very impressed by the fact that Mihai had come from a family of academics and wanted to hear all about how his family had survived under Communism. She was fascinated by his tales of a childhood in Bucharest right after Communism had fallen when the country was still just trying to put itself back together again.

And that Mihai—the bastard loved to talk. Alex could tell he liked having an audience. And River soaked up every word like it was gospel. She didn’t argue with him or question every little thing he said like she did Alex.

Alex didn’t know if that was a good thing or bad thing. Did it mean she was more comfortable around Alex, if she was comfortable enough to be angry with him from time to time? He frowned as Mihai finally pulled into a parking lot with a sign for Snagov monastery. Or did the fact she was so comfortable with him mean that she thought of him in the sibling category, like he did Savannah?

And why the hell did he care anyway? They were here to do a job and then they’d never see each other ever again.

Alex’s frown deepened at the thought, but then everyone was piling out of the car and he put it out of his mind.

It felt good to stretch his legs after world’s crappiest car ride.

“Goddess,” Savannah exclaimed, bending in half and touching her toes. Her crop top rode all the way up her back, exposing almost all her spine. There was another couple in the parking lot and the man’s eyes were zeroed in on Sav’s butt in her tight leggings.

Alex sighed, knowing there was no getting around the spectacle that was Savannah. She lifted back up and shook out her wild, long hair. She noticed the man watching her. “What you lookin’ at?” she shouted across the parking lot.

The woman with him grabbed his elbow after giving Savannah a dark look and pulled him away, shaking her head judgmentally.

Savannah lifted her fingers in a peace sign, and then proceeded to wiggle her tongue between her fingers.

“Jesus, Sav.” I grab her arm and yanked it down before the poor, beleaguered old couple could see. “Can’t you ever tone it down?”

Savannah just rolled her eyes and threw her arms out. “Why would I ever try to tone down all this magnificence?”

Mihai laughed appreciatively. “Why indeed.”

Savannah beamed at him, then clapped him so hard on the back he stumbled a little forward. “See? Mihail gets it.”

“Um, it’s actually Mihai,” he corrected, a little pink cheeked.

“Just trying to keep you on your toes,” Savannah said back with a wink. Then she hiked her backpack over her shoulder and headed toward the trail that led around the lake. “What are y’all doing? Catch me if you can.”

She jogged ahead toward the trail the older couple had just headed down.

“We better catch up with her,” Alex said grudgingly, in no mood for Savannah’s games. “There’s no telling what trouble she’ll get herself into otherwise.”

He looked over to River, but Mihai was already helping her put her water bottle in her day satchel.

It was Alex’s turn to roll his eyes. He was nobody’s lap boy. He jogged to keep up with Savannah.