"Two kids died," he said.

"My friends, Amy and Jordan - "

"It could've been you."

"I know."

"If you didn't hate your old man so much, you'd be in my car. Milk?" Mr. Ross slid the glass over, spilling a bit. Ryan gulped half of it.

"Yeah, had it hard," said Mr. Ross. "How come you weren't on the bus?"

"I forgot my homework."

"Hmm - the good Lord spared you."

---

Miss Aldridge came home from Birchwood Hotel downtown, wearing a maid uniform. Mr. Ross explained what happened and headed out abruptly.

Miss Aldridge cornered Ryan in the hallway and hugged him.

"You're lucky you weren't on the bus. You're going with your dad tomorrow - no complaints." Ryan grumbled, but she shut her bedroom door.

Ryan rested that night, trying hard to sleep.

---

Mr. Ross blew the car horn loudly in the morning and Grace hopped in. Ryan opened the back door reluctantly and sat on the worn-out seat.

Mr. Ross drove off and Ryan turned around. A young, male, bus driver came around the corner in a brand, new bus and Ryan huffed.

The car stalled in the middle of the street and Mr. Ross turned the key. The engine choked and he shut it off. He waited a moment and turned it. The engine started with a rumble and he revved it.

---

He dropped Grace off at Londwell High and raced to Harvey Middle School like a bank robber. Ryan breathed tensely.

Several buses crowded the parking lot. Principal Pearson lingered around the front doors like a security guard.

Mr. Ross drove by him and the principal pointed to the street rudely. Ryan saw a long table with two cash registers on it past the glass doors in the school foyer. Several bookcases filled with hardcover books surrounded the table.

"Stupid principal," said Mr. Ross. "I want to park at the book drive."

He parked on the street and got out of the car quickly.

"Help your old man. I saved your life today."

Ryan sighed and Mr. Ross led him into the side entrance. Ryan skipped away, but he snatched his jacket collar.

"I'll be late," said Ryan.

"Then hurry up," he snapped.

He dragged Ryan down the main corridor into the cafeteria kitchen.

Dolores Weaver, the head, lunch lady mixed a large pan of scrambled eggs on the counter and Margaret heated a small pan of sausages. Dolores wore a hair net and Margaret wore a blue bandana.

Mr. Ross straightened a white T-shirt over his pot belly and smoothed his blonde hair back. "Dolores, how are you? You look cute today."

Dolores patted her gray hair. "Jack, you flatter me."

"Hi, Margaret. Your boyfriend must be missing you." Margaret smiled shyly with a missing eyetooth and Ryan grimaced.

"Did Ryan eat breakfast?" asked Dolores like a nurse.

"He tried to, but he didn't have time," said Mr. Ross.

Ryan shifted his eyes. He ate three waffles.

"That's not good," said Dolores. "How about some sausages?"