Chapter Twelve : "Devil's In The Details."

"Devil's In The Details."
Chapter Twelve :

Later that night -

Castiel glanced at them once more, worry written on his face. The two were sat side by side but this wasn't anything like before, it wasn't even close. They may have been near eachother but couldn't have been more far apart, both staring straight ahead not interacting not even acknowledging eacgothers existence. Castiel let out a deep sigh, turning to look at the two worried Winchesters. "Is this the first time they've hurt anyone?" He said in soft voice, his usual gruff tone still evident. "No." Sam shook his head, "No, but it is the first time they've hurt someone who didn't get back up."

"All right, you two should get them back to the bunker." Dean suggested quietly. Sam snapped his head towards Dean. "What?" Sam looked up at Dean with a look of confusion.
"The cops are gonna be on their way." - "We gotta get them out of town." Dean explained calmly. "Okay, but what about the ghoul?" Castiel asked, "I can stay here." He offered but Dean was quick to shut that offer down. "No, I'll handle it." - "Besides, you need to be with them.. ." Dean paused, looking the two kids over, "Incase they, you know.." Castiel got what Dean was suggesting, Dean was half expecting something to go south, and soon. "Okay." Cas sighed, walking towards the two.

The two nephilims didn't bother in acknowledging them though, still staring straight ahead and refusing to look away.

On the ride home . .

It was silent, uncomfortably so. Sam driving, Castiel in the front seat. Julia was pushed as close to the door as she could get, her elbow gently resting on the window. She hadn't said a word, and neither had he. Sam glanced back at them through the mirror and cleared his throat gently. "You guys okay?" He asked gently, feeling as if he said one wrong thing they might just explode. Julia rolled her eyes, unbeknownst to Sam, Jack ignoring the question entirely. "I've killed people who didn't deserve it.." Castiel spoke, "my friends, I've killed people I loved." - "I wish I could tell you two that it gets easier, that with time, it hurts less, but that would be a lie." The older Angel was gentle with his words but he was being entirely truthful, but that's not something the two young nephilims could see. "Because it never gets easier." He continued, "And those moments, they never stop hurting, but that doesn't mean that you should stop fighting." - "Doesn't mean that just because you made a mistake - and that's what this is, it's a mistake."

"That doesn't mean you can't be better, do better." - "I believe that." - He looked back at them feeling a sort of peace in what he was saying. "I have to believe that."

Sam was quick to join in, "And we still believe in you both, we uh-

"Stop." Julia finally spoke, breaking the hours long silence. "Just. . Please stop." She couldn't take it anymore, the pandering and kind supportive words not when she believed a word of it, Julia's head was practically spinning with thoughts, anger, guilt, shame, sadness. She hadn't thought one person could feel she reminded herself how wrong she was. And she didn't look at her brother, not once she was scared to. Scared he might just finally give up on her, but she wasn't even entirely sure he hadn't already done that.

Going back to the bunker wasn't any better, infact the worst part was the silence. The deafening silence. The anxiety that came with it, the questions that just kept piling in her mind. The kind of questions that burn right through you, so desperate to get answers but there were none, she kept saying that but it didn't make much of a difference. Sam, Cas were set up at the large table that mirrored a global map. Upon hearing the bunker door open and close, Sam looked up to greet with older brother who had stayed behind to clean up the mess. "Hey." Sam said, standing up front his chair.

"Hey." Dean walked around the table, briefly glancing at the two kids who were sat infront of eachother, completely silent. He couldn't help but feel bad for them, he thought he never could but here he was. "How'd it go?" Sam asked, "Usual." Dean answered, dragging his eyes away from the two kids. "Killed the bad guy, saved the girl." Of course that was the simple explanation, but it fit the situation. He threw his phone down on the table, creating a thud amongst the mostly silent room. Sam looked towards the kids, then at Dean, "What about the, uh. ." Dean knew where this question was headed. "Took care of it." Dean answered in a serious tone. "Good." Sam replied, causing Julia and Jack to look at the older man in disbelief.