Chapter 139

Father and Mother Lin had decided not to get involved in their children's business, but seeing Lin Xinyu squatting at the door, motionless... their hearts softened. They had Lin Shuhao go and have a look.

Under the gaze of his parents, Lin Shuhao took some biscuits and water to check on Lin Xinyu. When he opened the door, Lin Xinyu abruptly got up, happily rushing to see whoever came with a smile, like a dog wagging its tail, sticking out its tongue, and waiting to be fed.

What he saw was not Lin Xin, so he squatted back, his head buried between his legs in unspeakable disappointment.

Lin Shuhao gave him water and biscuits and lied. "My sister asked me to bring this to you."

"Lin Xin would not do such a thing, take it back."

The biscuits and water were given by his parents. He really had had no sense of appreciation. "Since you won't eat," Lin Shuhao said, "let's see how long you can last."

He threw biscuits and water into the flower bed, closed the door, and went back to tell his parents that they were delivered. Then, he ran upstairs to his sister and said that Lin Xinyu was waiting for her outside.

Lin Shuhao was very good at making up his mind. He intended to help Lin Xinyu. Through his mouth, Lin Xinyu's dog-like behavior was even more pitiful.

Lin Xin felt nauseated just at the thought of Han Keman, now even more than when she saw Xiao Tian and Han Keman on the boat. She didn't want to know the truth. Whoever he wanted to be with had nothing to do with her. It was just that when Lin Shuhao said that he had been squatting all afternoon without eating or drinking, she was still worried about whether his body could bear it. He had not even eaten breakfast.

She had raised the child, given him her life, it would be a lie to say that she didn't love him. Lin Xin could not sleep, and in the middle of the night, she was still worried about Lin Xinyu.

She hesitated for a long time, hugged a blanket, and went down to see him. When she got to the door, she hesitated again. She bent down and peeped through the keyhole. She could only see the top of his head. The temperature difference between day and night was large, and there was a layer of dewdrops on Lin Xinyu's head.

She reached out to open the door, but the moment she touched the doorknob, she withdrew her hand again. When she returned to her room with the blanket in her arms, she thought: if she went out at night, she would never be able to get rid of him. He'd follow her for the rest of her life. It was better not to go out. He'll wait until tomorrow and, when she ignores him, he'll leave when he's hungry and sleepy.

As she thought of Lin Xinyu, Lin Xin gradually fell asleep. She had a dream, a long dream. In the dream she slept in a bed, her mother and father called for her. She tried to open her eyes, smiled at them, but was too tired. She closed her eyes and went back to sleep. Her body floated lightly up, floating in mid-air, she turned twice and floated to the window, but it was closed. Blocked, she went back.

She saw Lin Xinyu sitting by the bed, wiping her face. Suddenly, he looked back at her. Lin Xin was startled. She felt the weight of her body and slowly opened her eyes. Looking at his pale face and sunken eyes, she thought - have I been in a coma for a long time?

When Lin Xinyu saw her wake up, he shook off the towel in his hand excitedly. He stretched out his arms to hug her, suddenly remembered something, shivered, and asked, "Who am I? What's your name?"

Lin Xin felt a pain in her heart. She just had a long dream and didn't know how long it was. It was only a moment for her to open her eyes, and it was ten years for him.

「For long years, the living, the dead knows naught,

Though to my mind not brought, can the dead be forgot?

After your departure, loneliness beckoned a dream of our hometown, where we met,

Once again, I see you sitting by the window,

Brushing your hair, dressing up.

Staring hushed, but from my eyes, tears gushed.」1 [javascript:void(0)]《江城子 Jiang Chengzi · Remembrance》Song Dynasty poem by Su Shi.

Unbidden, the words appeared in her mind.

Lin Xin asked, "How long did I sleep for?"

When she asked this question, Lin Xinyu knew that she had not left. She was still her. He was afraid to hold her... afraid that she would scold him again. He sat there obediently and said, "Not much longer than a week."

Seven days a week, 3650 days in 10 years... 521 times that of a week. Seven days and he's already so thin, so what of 521 seven days?

Lin Xin asked, "How have you spent the past ten years?"

Lin Xinyu smiled. "Just like ordinary people. Eat and sleep, and then count the time, second by second." He pointed to his heart and said, "You gave me this heart. I dare not let myself live badly. I was afraid that one day I would see you up there and you would scold me." He didn't cry, as if he were talking about someone else. This decade didn't matter to him.

Lin Xin reached out and touched where his heart was. There was a long scar on it. She touched her own heart, they beat at the same frequency. He'd been alive for her for ten years...

She decided to try to forgive him for what he'd done.

Smiling softly, she said, "I'm hungry. I want to eat braised meat. Make it for me."