Chapter 66 ~ Sorry

Start from the beginning

"Can we talk quickly?" He asks, thumb running across my wrist under my dangly bracelet. I nod and push the door through to the locker room, passing one of the kitchens entrances with steam pouring from the doorway. Once we reach the room I walk over to my locker, not opening it just hanging onto the door latch. A heavy silence descends over the room, Blaze leans against the doorframe and it feels like a sea of the distance between us. The sizzling of grills and cries from the chefs are a dull rumble in the tension. I need to apologise, I can't take this anymore-

"I'm sorry." We both blurt, I turn abruptly to face him. He looks up through his dark lashes, lips turning slightly at the corners as he steps closer to me.

"Why are you sorry?" I ask taking a step like him.

"I completely ignored how you felt Blondie."

"Blazey, you don't have anything to apologise for. I was the one who tried to push you out, you can't help what I didn't tell you. You deserve to talk and feel happy about Alabama and I really am so proud of you. I didn't mean to grow... cold... I was just..."

"Scared?" He reaches out to take my elbow, I nod sheepishly. "Come here." He tugs me forward into his chest and wraps his arms around my small body. I relax into his warmth inhaling his minty scent, feeling his heart thump steadily. "We're going to be okay Atlas. I promise we're going to be okay. I'm not going to leave you." He whispers, my insides freeze and unfreeze unable to produce words I just clutch to him tighter.

"Are we okay?" I mumble, eyes closed.

"Yeah, we never weren't. Just talk to me okay."

I nod adamantly as he reaches up and takes my chin between his fingers. He leans down and kisses me feverishly, hot and deep as his tongue meshes with mine. He wraps my ponytail around his fist and tugs my head back to open my mouth further.

"I love you." He breaths against my neck.

"I love you." I whisper back, "Although I really should get changed... I smell like a fryer." He laughs and lets go of me so I can change into a pair of grey yoga pants and one of his black hoodies I stole this morning. Letting my hair loose from its ponytail I give my head a shake and take Blaze's hand walking back out to the front of the diner where our friends wait ready to leave. I bid goodbye to Layla who juggles two trays of empty plates and we set off through the doors into the muggy spring night. The sky is a dark navy with splashes of bright white light not blocked by the foggy clouds tonight. The humid air tugs around the hoodie collar and I can taste the hot air in my throat. The amble of chatter fades into the parking lot, laughing and shouting tinged with joy and freedom, it's a perfect evening with the perfect group of people... but something else bites at my skin.

The tiny hairs on my arms prick up and goosebumps sashay across my skin, I can feel something drilling into me. I stop just a few feet into the parking lot, Blaze clutches my hand tighter... he can feel it too. I peer up cautiously, his jaw ticks, eye like pinpoints staring in front of him but the feeling is coming from behind us. His back is taunted and his biceps strain under his tight black shirt.

"Someone's watching us," I whisper, it feels like the time I was at the mall but way more intense. Suddenly Blaze's phone rings, the shrill noise making our friends turn from their cars.

"Yo? You guys coming?" B shouts from the door of his Audi.

"Yeah, We'll meet you there... I uh... I forgot my ballet bag in my locker." I shout back whilst blaze drills holes into his cell. He clutches any tighter and I'll crumble into pieces.

NO CALLER ID

Illuminates the screen, he doesn't pick up just yet instead he waits until our friends are in their cars. I turn our bodies so it looks like we're going back into the diner but I scour behind us coming up short... I can't see anyone.