turn left

TW: possible derealisation, suicide, and mentions of manslaughter.

I decided to take the stranger's hand, making her hum gently. "𝐡𝐦𝐦, 𝐲𝐞𝐬. 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐢𝐬 𝐚 𝐬𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐬𝐟𝐚𝐜𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐲 𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐮𝐥𝐭." With that, we turned away, the castle collapsing into a void of night and stars. There was a distinct path, and she pulled a lantern out from her cloak so we could watch where we walked.

"Who are you?" I decided to ask. "Are you here to reap my soul?"

"𝐢 𝐰𝐨𝐮𝐥𝐝 𝐧𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐛𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐭𝐨 𝐝𝐨 𝐬𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐬𝐨 𝐬𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐲."

"What are you here for, then?"

"𝐦𝐲 𝐩𝐮𝐫𝐩𝐨𝐬𝐞 𝐢𝐬 𝐭𝐨 𝐦𝐚𝐤𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐥𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐧. 𝐬𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐝𝐚𝐲, 𝐲𝐨𝐮'𝐫𝐞 𝐠𝐨𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐨 𝐝𝐢𝐞, 𝐬𝐮𝐧𝐧𝐲. 𝐚𝐧𝐝, 𝐢 𝐰𝐨𝐧'𝐭 𝐛𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐭𝐨 𝐠𝐮𝐢𝐝𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮."

"You're the first person here to properly refer to me as Sunny."

"𝐢 𝐤𝐧𝐨𝐰 𝐦𝐨𝐫𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐬 𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞. 𝐢 𝐭𝐚𝐤𝐞 𝐦𝐚𝐧𝐲 𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐦𝐬." She hummed, pushing a star further into the void. "𝐢 𝐚𝐦 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐦𝐨𝐫𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐬𝐮𝐧. 𝐢 𝐚𝐦 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐦𝐨𝐨𝐧. 𝐢 𝐚𝐦 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐲 𝐝𝐫𝐨𝐩 𝐨𝐟 𝐫𝐚𝐢𝐧. 𝐢 𝐚𝐦 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐲 𝐛𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐦𝐮𝐬𝐜𝐥𝐞 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐩𝐨𝐨𝐥 𝐨𝐟 𝐛𝐥𝐨𝐨𝐝. 𝐢 𝐦𝐚𝐲 𝐛𝐞 𝐚 𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝐨𝐟 𝐲𝐨𝐮, 𝐛𝐮𝐭 𝐢 𝐚𝐦 𝐬𝐨 𝐦𝐮𝐜𝐡 𝐦𝐨𝐫𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐧 𝐲𝐨𝐮."

"May I know your name?"

"𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐢𝐬 𝐧𝐨𝐭 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐭𝐨 𝐤𝐧𝐨𝐰."

"Okay."

As we continued to walk, she lead me to a small boat, making me sit in it as the water drifted us along. I leaned over the edge, and I could see my reflection in the stars, but there was a silhouette behind me. I looked back to see her standing over me.

"𝐩𝐥𝐞𝐚𝐬𝐞, 𝐥𝐚𝐲 𝐝𝐨𝐰𝐧. 𝐢 𝐜𝐚𝐧 𝐚𝐧𝐬𝐰𝐞𝐫 𝐦𝐚𝐧𝐲 𝐚 𝐪𝐮𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧, 𝐢𝐟 𝐲𝐨𝐮'𝐥𝐥 𝐨𝐧𝐥𝐲 𝐥𝐞𝐭 𝐦𝐞."

Not wanting my soul to be reaped (you can never tell whether or not someone's a liar), I did so, and she placed a gentle hand to my forehead.

And, I blacked out.

I was sent to a memory...

"Hey," Kel asked, breaking the bored silence of the treehouse. "What d'you think our superpowers would be if we had them?"

"I don't know, actually," Mari responded, resting peacefully on Hero as they cuddled. "I think Hero's would be pyrokinesis. Or, at least something to do with warmth."

"It's because I'm so hot, right?"

"Yes, and because you're always so warm."

"He'll also be able to cook flambe desserts easy peasy whenever he wants!" Aubrey said happily. "Imagine all the marshmallows we'll be able to roast!"

"There would be a lot," he chuckled.

Mari hummed. "That would have to mean Kel has an opposite power, because that's how superhero siblings work. How about water?"