Just a little story

So I found this song, at first I just passed it off as another random song. Then I listened, I recognised the voice of the amazing Alec Benjerman. As the song went on I began to realise just how special the lyrics are. By the last verse I was in tears. So I wrote this little story to go along with it.

Sandsun Row was a pretty little place. Three cottages sitting along the side of a single track road. It was only ten minutes drive from the west side of the city, so most of the residents worked there.

The first house on the row was by far the smallest. With a thatched roof and ivy climbing up the walls, it looked like something out of a fairy tale. Jade had inherited it from her great aunt, and with nearly no money had moved in. She works on the east side of the city as a dishwasher for a fancy restaurant. She gets paid just enough to survive on. She had no car, so tookes the bus as far as she can every night, then walks the rest of the way home alone in the dark. You'd think that with such bad living conditions Jade would be rather sad, but she is probably one of the most optimistic people out there. She clings to the knowledge that in not too long she will be a mother. She will never have to be alone again. She will always have someone to hold. She will always say "The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad. If we got each other, and that's all we have. I will be your mother, and I'll hold your hand. You should know I'll be there for you."

The next house belongs to Mrs and Mr Greenbrow. Both in their 90s, living out their days next to the spot they got engaged. If you were to go inside their house, you would notice that almost every inch of their walls are covered in picture frames. Photos of everywhere they have been, everything they've done. Photos of them as teenagers on their first date, photos of their wedding, photos of their old houses, photos of their old jobs. Sometimes they fall out, but they never break each other's hearts. Now the pair are pensioners, they don't have the money to buy a fancy car, but they do need to travel because they will never be apart. They always say "The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad. If we got each other, and that's all we have. I will be your lover, and I'll hold your hand. You should know I'll be there for you."

The final house is mine. I'm 23 and my parents are getting old. I know they won't live forever, and I'm scared to lose them. So I'm thankful for my sister, she's always by my side. Sure we have our fights, but at the end of the day I know she is always there for me. When I was a kid and school was hard, she was the reason I survived. I hurt knowing she is sad, so I just wanted to tell her I'm always here for her too. I want to tell her "The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad. If we got each other, and that's all we have. I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand. You should know I'll be there for you."

When the world's not perfect

When the world's not kind

If we have each other then we'll both be fine

I will be your mother, and I'll hold your hand

You should know I'll be there for you

When the world's not perfect

When the world's not kind

If we have each other then we'll both be fine

I will be your lover, and I'll hold your hand

You should know I'll be there for you

When the world's not perfect

When the world's not kind

If we have each other then we'll both be fine

I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand

You should know I'll be there for you