Chapter 7

(Dipper pov)

Six weeks later

I lay in my tent, my whole body being sore but in a good way. Once Bill saw how capable I actually can be, he actually took the time to start properly training me to get better. I even come close to beating him in a hand-to-hand fight now. We're supposed to leave in the morning to meet up with the rest of the army and then together we'll take down the huns. Honestly, it's only know that I am truly starting to panic about the idea of actually going to war.

I sigh as I sit up. "I need to do something to get my mind off this for just a minute."

I quietly get out of my tent and go into the woods just to hopefully clear my mind.

I stop walking as I come to a lake with a few lillypads floating around. I glance around making sure no one is around as I strip down to my boxers, keeping my shirt on but taking off the bandages. I leave the bandages on the bank as I go in the water, shuddering slightly at the coldness of the water.

I just float around for a while as I look up at the night sky. A nearby splash startles me causing me to sink in the water. I tread water as I sputter up water coughing slightly as I see Bill standing there in black boxers and a yellow hoodie. "What ya doing out here, Pinetree?"

"N-Nothing, I just....um....."

"Relax, you aren't in trouble." He sits on the ground, his feet in the water. "I saw you leave your tent and needed to make sure you weren't going AWOL."

"You followed me?"

"I did my job."

I clumb onto the bank next to him, water dripping from my hair. "What is it like, having a commander for a dad?"

"It's......I know he means well.....just wish he would show it more often instead of always making sure that I am prepared for the next time we need to go to war."

"How long have you been training for war?"

"Since I was little and could do things without help. I think a part of it is mostly his PTSD from what he went through."

"......that kind of thing takes on different forms."

"What about your dad? I heard he is quite the war hero."

"He actually never told us anything about the war. He said it was to spare us from knowing the awful things that happened, but I think it was just so he didn't have to relive it."

"Does he have any war scars?"

"He has a limp. He tries to hide it but I know that it still hurts him. When it rains his pain is bad enough he needs a cane. He's supposed to use the cane all the time anyway but he won't because he's too prideful."

".......dad's are overrated." We both laugh softly at that. "What are those bandages for?" I see him glance at the bandages I left nearby.

"Oh it's-"

"Are you hurt?"

"No, no no it's nothing really.  Back at home I had a surgery. I wear the bandages to cover the stitches."

"What was the surgery for?"

"Nothing major, just had something removed. It doesn't change how my body functions at all though, I assure you that."

"Alright. Wouldn't want you dying in battle because of a surgery."

".....are you scared? About fighting the huns I mean."

"Are you?"

".......yeah......it somehow doesn't feel real....."

".....if all goes according to plan, we'll be more of a backup force while my father's men lead the main attack.....hopefully....."