Till Death Reunites Us[...]

Genre: Romance[?], Drama, Tragic, Death[?]

Fantasy AU: Hanahaki Disease

Date Published: December 13, 2021

***

It's already been a whole month since it started. It began with occasional coughs he thought was a cold. The intense pain that was quite similar to the ones he gets when returning back to his original body when APTX 4869 was still in effect. All of it was unexpected and Shinichi was confused. Is this the after effect of the antidote he took half a year ago? 

Shinichi smiled bitterly as he stares at a single rose petal on the palm of his hand. All of the confused questions when this unknown disease started to make sense when one day, he coughed out a bloodstained petal by the thought of a certain magician. No, he still couldn't believe that such a disease actually exist. 

"To think that an unrequited love can kill a person. How funny is that?" Shinichi chuckled and put the petal in his pocket when he heard footsteps coming to his direction. 

The moment he turned around, he was met with a wide grin of a magician waving at him. Ah, how could he not fall in love with that grin of his? The way his presence alone can put him at ease. When did he saw Kid in a different light? When he volunteered to help him bring down the Organization? When they met each other once again as their persona? Or when he saw the way Kaito smiles whenever he talks about a girl named Aoko?

"Wari(Sorry), I overslept! How about we grab a bite first before we watch the movie?" Kaito asked as they walk side by side. 

Today, Shinichi suddenly asked Kaito out to hangout for the weekend. At first, Kaito thought that Shinichi felt lonely since his breakup with Ran a month ago. He was still curious with the reason why Shinichi broke up with her but he doesn't want to pry and just let the detective open up on his own. 

It was no surprised they get along really well despite being fated rivals in the past. When they first met, Kaito knew Shinichi was still adjusting seeing that he doesn't know him as Kuroba Kaito. He felt kind of bad that he knew everything about his Metantei but Shinichi doesn't know anything about him. But it didn't take long for them to have the same bond they had back when they were still hiding beneath a mask. 

The whole time they were talking, laughing at each other's joke, Shinichi could feel his throat tightening. Kaito was confused when Shinichi asked him to go on ahead and quickly dashes to a nearby back alley. He didn't give it much thought assuming that he's getting a call from a case and went ahead. 

Shinichi quickly started coughing the moment he entered the empty alley. It was painful. It feels  like his throat is being stab by thorns. Has it always been this painful? He held on to the wall and covered his mouth the whole time he was having a coughing fit. When it slowly calm down, he open his teary eyes and uncovered his mouth.

He painfully smiled when he saw his hand covered with blood along with a few petals mixed in it. 

"I've reach my limit, Kaito. Can I be selfish for once and allow myself to express these painful love?.. Even just for today will be enough."

He cleaned up the blood stain on the floor along with his hand and put the cleaned petals in his pocket along with the other one. Nobody knows about this disease and he wanted it to remain that way. Even if he had to leave this world with an unknown death, he was fine with that. Who knew upon facing death's door, he was still glad until the end? Glad that he fell in love with Kaito even if it was the reason for his awaiting death.