"I could only apologize to you because I mislook something. This small mistake of letting that astronomer live even before I could shut his mouth created a taint on your reputation." He took my hand and kissed it tenderly. "But worry not, my love. I've already cut off everyone's heads and now, no one would dare question my decision to give you the Empress throne."

Bigla akong pinangtayuan ng balahibo nang dahil sa sinabi niya.

No, something is not right.

Dahan-dahan akong napahiwalay sa kanya at natutulalang napatitig sa gwapo niyang mukha.

I felt chills run down every corner of my skin from what he just said.

He cut off...everyone's head?

Pakiramdam ko ay parang may kung anong pumiga sa tiyan ko nang makita ang kakaibang emosyon na iyon sa mukha niya.

He's smiling like a maniac.

The pleasure in his eyes while saying those things made me tremble with fear.

I've already gotten so used to seeing him soft and kind that I've completely forgotten this side of his. His dark side.

Bahagyang napalundag pa ako nang kunin niya ang kamay ko at inidikit iyon sa kanang pisngi niya.

And that familiar devil's smile slowly twitched into his face.

"Anyone who would dare to oppose you will be sent through the depths of hell." Even the sound of his voice made me tremble with fear. "I did well, right? Wife, I've done all of these things just to protect you. Praise me. Love me. And I will give the whole world to you."

Hindi ko na kinaya pa at mabilis kong hinawakan ang magkabilang pisngi niya. I held both of his cheeks while trying to wake him up.

Kaagad ko namang nakita ang namutawing pagkabigla sa kanyang mukha.

I need to wake him up.

I need to drag him back to his good side. I can't let him be completely consumed by his dark persona.

"Zhang Wei..." I tried calming him down.

Nakita ko naman ang unti-unting panlalaki ng mga mata niya na para bang nagising siya. Atsaka siya napatingin ng diretso sa aking mga mata.

"Zhang Wei, you don't have to kill anyone just for my sake." I tried to knock some sense into him. "You can protect me by just staying by my side or just by believing in me. You don't have to cut off anyone's head just to prove my innocence."

But I was not ready to hear his answers.

A cold smile slowly twitched into his lips before he spoke in that soulless voice.

"Wife, I don't need anyone's approval." The empty emotion in his voice stunned me even more. "All I need is their fear. You're my wife. You're my only woman. I won't let anyone slander you or question my decision. If I have to kill everyone in the court just to make them accept you, I won't even think twice about doing it——"

"Zhang Wei."

I can't take it.

"Promise me." I spoke while holding his face. I looked straight into his bewildered eyes before I spoke. "Promise me that you'll stop tainting your hands with blood just for my sake."

Nakita ko naman ang pagkagulat sa mukha niya nang dahil sa sinabi ko. It's like he's not expecting to hear that.

Pero hindi ko lang lang kaya na makita siyang nagkakaganito. I know that he's a tyrant and evil, but I can't just shut my eyes and turn a blind eye to all of his wrong actions.