16 - Royal Baby

Começar do início

The moment I step into the visiting room with a tray filled with biscuits, scones, cream cheese, jam and a few dried fruits to accompany their Earl Grey tea, their conversation stops.

"Thank you, Camilla," Vincent says, keeping his heated gaze on mine.

I look away, as I place the tray and start to assemble the couple plates with the biscuits and scones and the tiny bows with the jams. Without even waiting for me to finish, The Duke takes his cup but not without earning a scoff from his mom.

"Would you please let her do her job? Isn't that what she's here for?"

Fortunately, he ignores her, taking her cup and placing it in front of her. I rush to grab the teapot before he does and serve them both. Once everything's set I grab the tray back and bow to both of them.

"I'll be close by if you need me." And then I scurry off the room.

As soon as the door shuts, the Duchess' voice sounds again.

"Why don't we celebrate back at home?" His mom asks in a whiny tone.

"Because I am the Duke and I live here. I'd prefer if we'd celebrate here."

"Fine," she concedes. "But on one condition."

"What now, mom?"

"I am in charge of organizing it."

Dear Lord. She'll make my life a living hell, that's for sure.

It's not enough that it'll be my first Christmas all alone, I'll have to be working under her orders.

"Oh, I'll invite Elleanor, she'll be delighted to see you again."

Eleanour?

"No mom. We broke up years ago and for a good reason. Let's just leave it at that."

"No can do my sweet boy." She tuts. "I also came here for another reason... Word has come to me that the King's wife is three months pregnant."

"That's amazing," he bloats.

I can hear the happiness in his voice from here. But why? That means he won't be king... Why would he be happy?

"No, it isn't. It means you'll probably just stay as Duke," she whines before starting on a full-on ramble. "And that's more of a reason for us to establish our influence in the Court. Our party has to be perfect and the biggest so far. Also, seeing you with Eleanour again will give everyone the idea that you're settling down and probably get married soon and secure your legacy as well - with offsprings!"

My hand flies out to my mouth, to try and contain any involuntary sound that might come out.

Her words race through my brain, registering the information.

Getting him married, and having an heir. That's what his mother wants to secure for him: a legacy that won't be deleted with the King's family.

It makes sense if it were about the family itself and not about power.

But it doesn't mean that it doesn't pierce right through my heart.

The last couple of days has made me forget the reality of Vicent's and mine situation.

It's only lust and desire. A fleeting situation.Not for the long haul - at all.

So why does it bother me that much just thinking about that? No matter how true it is and how seeped it is into my brain, it always bothers me. It always deflates me.

It's a fact - an important one that will define everything in the end -, that tends to disappear from my mind whenever he's around me.

"Mom, please. If I am not to be King, let me do things my way. You and dad prepared me for this ever since I learned how to walk, do have a little bit of faith in me."