Games

Sunoo arrived early at the office. Even though it was Saturday, it was already crowded. The officer passed by Jungwon, waving at him rapidly. He didn't stop to chat because he knew he would never begin to work if he did so.

Sunoo sat on his chair and sighed. He had spent all night thinking about the three boys. It broke his heart that two of them were missing, but it broke it even more to know that their roommate was left alone.

The first thing he had to do this morning was one of the worst police duty he had. He picked ip the phone and dialed the number of Lee Heseung's house. He had to introduce himself and ask them if they had any information. After that he would have to call Park Sunghoon's family as well.

~

Sunoo took a deep breath. He had so much at stake. He had to find these two boys soon.

He kept hearing the parents' cries in his head, but needed to chase them to focus.  Sunoo looked through his file and his notes.

There's no clue that I can use...

He got up and paced through the office, mumbling incomprehensible words. Finally, he decided it was time to bring up his office best friend into the case. It was his time to shine.

Sorry Jungwon. This time it's not you.

He started writing names on little pieces of paper and pinning them of his cork bulletin board. He need a clear plan of what was going on.

Sunoo was looking so hard at the board that if he had superpowers it would probably be melting by now

Sunoo was looking so hard at the board that if he had superpowers it would probably be melting by now. That thought make him chuckle inside.

"Hi there" said someone behind Sunoo.

The officer turned back and saw Niki standing near him. He looked a bit tired.

"Hey there" he replied, smiling at his partner. "Slept well?"
"Yeah not really" said Niki, scratching his head. "I moved into my new apartment recently and it still feels weird if that makes sense."
"Sure" said Sunoo.
"You arrived earlier than I expected" continued Niki.
"I couldn't get these two missing students out of my mind" replied Sunoo, looking back at the board.

Niki approached and looked at it as well.
Sunoo noticed that he came close to enough to create tension. In fact, their hands weren't that far away.

Is it on purpose?

"You wrote here that they like to go to the arcade?" asked Niki, pointing at the note on the board.
"Yes, Jaeyun told us that they often played there" explained Sunoo.
"To one right next to the mall? Maybe they went there after purchasing their movie tickets" suggested Niki.
"Hum... Could be" said Sunoo, thinking.
"Wouldn't hurt to check right?" asked Niki.
"I guess" replied Sunoo. "But I'm more concerned about this woman. Something's wrong about her. I feel it."
"I don't think so" said Niki, lifting his shoulders. "She's probably just a woman that wanted to go to the movies."
"But how is it possible that no one else bought movie tickets?" asked Sunoo. "Don't you think it's weird?"
"I guess it happens" replied Niki, but he didn't sound very convincing.

Sunoo looked at him and squinted his eyes.

He's acting weird. Why?

"So" said Niki. "Arcade?"

~

Niki had asked to drive this time. Sunoo regretted allowing it as soon as he saw Niki smiling wildly at the sound of the running engine.
He didn't drive badly, but he accelerated faster than Sunoo, making him uncomfortable.

After ten minutes of mental torture, in which Sunoo kept pressing an imaginary brake with his foot, they arrived at the game arcade.

"Let's go!" said Niki, smiling at Sunoo.

They got inside and felt like it was nighttime. The place didn't have any sunlight exposure and was only lit by neons and machines screens.

"Oh look, they have Dragon's Lair" said Niki, pointing at one of the machines.
"Do you know how to play those games?" asked Sunoo.
"Of course I do" said Niki, surprised by the question. "Don't you?"
"I'm pretty bad at games like that" confessed Sunoo.
"I'll show you next time" said Niki, elbowing him.

Sunoo was almost sure Niki had winked at him after saying that. He stood there, in shock, while Niki walked to the counter.

Did he really wink at me? Am I dreaming this?

Someone came talk to Niki and it woke Sunoo up. He joined them quickly.

"Good morning" said Niki. "We're looking for two university students that are missing and we wondered if you had seen them recently. Are you the owner of this place?"
"Morning, I am indeed" he said. "Who are them?"

Niki took the two pictures they had out of his file and showed them to him.

"Oh yes, Sunghoon and Heeseung" he replied instantly, nodding. "They came by on Wednesday  afternoon I think."
"Really?" asked Sunoo, excited.
"Yes, they had some time before a movie I think" he continued.
"You know them well" commented Niki.
"They've been coming here since I opened up the arcade. They're loyal customers" he explained. "Are they really missing?"

"Unfortunately yes" said Sunoo. "Have you noticed anything different about them when they came by?"
"Hum" the arcade owner stopped to think. "Nothing unusual, I'm sorry."

Sunoo looked down, disappointed.

"But if you'd like, I have a camera that films what happens in the shop. I could show you Wednesday's tape" he added.
"That would be amazing" replied Niki.

The two officers followed the owner in his office. They saw him look through several VHS and put one in the tv.

"Do you really need to film in here?" asked Niki, surprised that he was so well equipped.
"Some months ago someone broke in and the insurance didn't give me much. After that I decided to be more careful and installed the camera" he explained, as he fast forwarded the tape until Wednesday afternoon.

After a few minutes, Sunoo saw Lee Heeseung and Park Sunghoon enter the arcade, talk with the owner and play for a while. Then, they went out and that was it.

"I think it's not really helpful unfortunately" said the owner with a low voice.
"Don't worry, you cooperating with us is already very helpful. Would you mind if I kept the tape until the end of the investigation?" asked Sunoo.

"Not at all" he replied, taking it out and giving the VHS to Sunoo.

"Thank you so much" replied the latter.

~

They were back in the car, but Sunoo didn't let Niki drive again.

"So what's next?" said Niki.
"I want to check their room. Maybe there's a clue there. People always leave a trail, we just need to find it" replied Sunoo, determined.
"You're right" said Niki, looking through the window.

"Do you think the tape will help?" asked Niki.
"Well, I prefer to collect everything we have" simply replied Sunoo, his eyes on the road.

Or maybe I've seen a woman in the tape that fits the movie theater staff's description?
I can't seem to tell Niki though.
I don't know.
He acted weird earlier when I mentioned her.
I feel like I should keep this for myself for now at least.