Chapter Six

"Mummy!"

"Yes, El?"

"Mummy!"

"I'm coming!" I groaned and got out of my bed. It was currently midnight. Maybe she couldn't sleep? I tiredly walk into her room. "What's wrong, El?"

"Mummy, I had a scary dream." She mumbled. I went and sat beside her on her bed. I pulled her into a hug.

"Its not real." She took hold of my hand.

"Daddy left."

"Hm?"

"In my dream.. Daddy left and me and you were sad."

"He won't leave, don't worry."

"But mummy.. Uncle Kevin said daddy will leave."

"Did he? Well uncle Kevin is wrong okay? He won't leave. He loves you." At least I hope he does.

"Can I sleep with you, mummy?"

"Of course you can, come on." I pick her up and she rests her head on my shoulder, falling asleep.

I place her in my bed, on the side I don't sleep. I tucked her in and got in myself. She shuffled closer to me and grabbed hold of my shirt like I'd disappear. "I love you, mummy." She mumbles before falling sleep.

***

"Elise! Are you nearly ready? Your dance practice starts soon. We gotta get going."

"Wait!" I laugh at how she's telling me to wait. I have been waiting. I sigh, waiting for her impatiently. She always takes so long.. What takes her so long?

She comes running out, on her little tutu and her hoodie that Jacob gave her.

"I was trying to find my jumper." She explains.

"Okay come on."

***

After watching her dance practice, we head out for lunch and ice cream.

"McDonalds!" She suddenly screams. Funny thing, we were no where near a McDonalds..

"Hm?"

"Can we go McDonalds?" She quietly asks.

"Sure thing." We soon arrive at a drive-thru McDonalds. "What do you want?"

"Nuggets!"

"Do you want a fruit shoot too?" I see her nod her head through the mirror. "Fries?"

"Yeah!" I order our food when we get to the window, well actually the speaker thing. I then paid and then waited for our food.

"So, do you want to go to the park today?"

"I wanna go see uncle Kevin!"

"Alright, I'll give him a call yeah?"

"Yay!" After we got our food, I parked in the car park so I could call Kevin.

"Hey Kev."

"Hi Cass. You okay?"

"Yeah, you?"

"Yeah, good. Wendy is coming back in a couple of days. Finally."

"That's great!"

"How's Elise?"

"She wants to see you. Are you free?"

"Uh yeah, I am. Come on over."

"I'll see you soon then." I cut the call after we say bye and turn to look at Elise who was happily munching on her chicken nuggets. "Eat up yeah? We're going to see Uncle Kev." Her face lights up and she carries on eating her food and drinking her juice. Before I drive off, I eat some of my food.

We soon head off and we arrive at Kevin's. "Mummy I save uncle Kevin a nugget!" She holds up a nugget and I silently laugh. Bless her, saving him one nugget. She's so cute.

I get her out of her car seat and carry her to the door. She rings the doorbell numerous times. I just smile and shake my head.

Kevin soon opens the door and let's us in. Elise also presents him with the one nugget she saved for him.

"Aw thanks, El." He eats it. "Tastes good."

"I know!" I place her down on the floor and she runs off into his garden.

"So, no Jacob today?"

"He's got some stuff to do."

"Thought he'd be with her everyday. Making up for lost time."

"He did have a life before I told him about her. So obviously he has other stuff to do. Which is fine because then El and I can have mummy daughter time like how we always do."

"You know he's probably gone to meet a drug dealer or something."

"Kevin!"

"Or a girl."

"I don't really care what he does. As long as it doesn't affect El."

"I'd be careful around him you know? Might try-"

"Kevin, I appreciate you're trying to look out for us but you're coming off as a jerk. Please, I know what I'm doing. He's her dad and I'll let him see her. Any slip up and he won't. Okay?"

"Okay, okay. Sorry." He rolls his eyes. Excuse me?!

"Don't you roll your eyes."

"Sorry. Gee, being a mum changed you."

"What?"

"I didn't mean it like that. I just meant you act all mum like on me and all. Even yesterday with Jacob and I. Damn girl." I roll my eyes.

"I guess I'm just in mum mode all the time."

"Well, you haven't had a break have you? Its easier with two parents so one can look after the child while the other has a break. Why don't you get Jacob to look after her and you, me and Wendy can go clubbing or something?"

"Wait. Did you just suggest that Jacob looks after Elise? Damn, moments ago you were totally going on about-"

"Yeah yeah. So, what do you say?"

"Well, if Jacob is alright then yeah okay. I'm sure Elise will be over the moon about that."

"Good."