Absolutely Captivating

1,916 words. Mild themes.

~San's Pov~

Joyous laughter, clinking glasses, tapping shoes; a delightful symphony in my ears. Rather, it would be, but all I can hear right now is the draining, one- sided conversation of my butler.

"My Prince, you have to make the decision by midnight," he continues to press.

"There's a party going on downstairs, Yeosang. One that I am supposedly hosting. Can we please do this some other time?"

The man of average height, wearing an all black three-piece suit ran a hand through his previously perfected blonde hair.

"I already got you an extension. The Zudalans aren't exactly your biggest fan. They already think you're just an irresponsible playboy who isn't fit to rule a kingdom."

"Well, they wouldn't be wrong," I say light heatedly, hopefully loosening the situation.

"San, this is a serious matter!" Guess it didn't work.

"I know, and I will make a serious decision as soon as the party is over, okay? I promise." I look towards him pleadingly, in case I had a chance of appealing to his soft side.

Kang Yeosang may work for me, but I've honestly always seen him as a brother first. As far as I'm aware, he feels the same.

He pinches the bridge of his nose in deep thought. "Promise," he questions.

"One hundred and ten percent," I reply with a certain level of confidence for good measure.

"Okay, but not a minute after midnight. I swear, if you don't they'll come after you," he remarks maybe a little too seriously.

"You're kidding, right," I inquire.

His face didn't move from it's original worrisome, yet statuesque state. "I wish I was, but I've seen some things, San. They're not good things."

I unnervingly process this information, asking just what he meant by that.

"Oh, nothing. You'll be fine as long as you give them an answer," he says dismissively waving a hand as if he didn't just indirectly tell me my life was in peril. "Go, enjoy the party."

"I- thanks," I stutter, visibly gulping. Nonetheless, I slap on a fresh, fake smile that's sure to work on nearly everyone.

A few shared laughs, dances, toasts, and-.

"So, Prince San, have you decided whether you want to sign over the power to Jaemin," an all too familiar voice interrupts my thoughts. And politics, I guess.

"Hello to you as well, Johnny," I greet the ass hat. He just let's out an obnoxious mix between a chuckle and a scoff in return.

"We can put a pin in the small talk. You know why I'm here. We need that answer. The Coronation Ball is this month, and we can't continue without someone to coronate."

"Well, just use my name, then. Just in case I say no," I reply, wishing for a way out of this suddenly stuffy ballroom.

"I don't think you understand. Jaemin is prepared to be a ruler. You're the only thing in his way."

Pause! Okay, step into my mind for a second. So, Jaemin is my half brother. We have the same dad. Our father is- was King of Atherton, and though Jaemin is technically the first born, I would be next in line since I'm of all royal blood.