Part Four : Greg meets the Sherriff

Beginne am Anfang

Greg chuckled as he muttered "That says it all, even if she has a point." He switched to radio and soon after wished he hadn't. It played an old Ricky Skaggs country music number that stuck in his head for most of the rest of the morning.

                                                                          * * *

The motel clerk was waiting in the office with Greg's bill made up in his hand and ready to settle. "Moving on Mr. Mitchell?" he asked through a mouthful of yellowed teeth.

"That's what I want to talk to you about. I would like to stay longer. That is if the Sherriff allows me to?"

"How long for Sir? A week?"

"No I was thinking of a month or two, perhaps longer. I'm thinking of doing some business here for a while. Can we discuss long term rates?"

The clerk sprang around the counter. "We most certainly can Sir."

His hunched and obsequious manner brought the Dickens character- Uriah Heep to Greg's mind and he shook the image free with a fierce shake of his head.

"Do you also have a bigger room and one that's a bit more private ?"

"We do Sir, if you need more privacy,196 is the one, its right at the end of the block. You"ll not be disturbed there at all."

" And what about broad band internet, do you have wi-fi here yet?"

The blank stare on the clerk's face answered Greg's question and he explained.

"I'll need a fast internet connection if I'm to work from here. If you don't have it connected I'll need to buy-in a satellite connection. Will that be OK?"

"We can come to terms I"m sure, but it will be all down to your expense."

"That's OK'

"But before you buy it in Mr. Mitchell, we have internet here already. You can use it in the office, any time you like."

The clerk rushed back of the counter and flashed up his internet connection. Greg didn't know whether to laugh or cry when he heard the almost forgotten chirping of a dial-up connection-an everyday sound in the last century.

"That's OK, thank you. I'll make some enquiries about the satellite and will confirm the room after I've seen the Sherriff. He did tell me to get out of town yesterday."

"I'll have a word Mr. Mitchell. I know the Sherriff well. We're good friends."

"Thanks for that, and for your time."

Greg looked at his watch and muttered. "8.10, too early to call Dean Halburton in Boston."

He stood thinking and the clerk interrupted his thoughts.

"If you"re looking for breakfast Mr. Mitchell I"d recommend Ma Tooleys pancakes and she"s just across the street."

The idea sounded good. Greg thanked the clerk and stepped outside and began choking immediately. He'd thought when he looked out of his window this morning that it seemed to be an overcast and dull day, but a fresh breeze had picked up clouds of acrid tasting dust, that obscuring the sunlight but not diminishing its heat.

Greg half dropped to his knees and brought out his handkerchief to cover his face. He felt sweat running down his brow and his spine. The sensation robbed him of his appetite and he made his way to the Sherriff's office with his face covered over like a bandit.

Relief came as he entered the office and he shook the dust from his shoulders and wiped his face.

An elegant middle-aged man in a grey woollen suit with a multi coloured waistcoat covering an ample stomach crossed with a heavy gold chain greeted him.