Chapter 21 - No Break

Start from the beginning

"But isn't that countered by the fact that you allowed a student from Class C to stay with you? If you really wanted your class to win, you should have thought of some other offensive tactic to rake in some Points, knowing very well that the Class C student meant more harm than good."

"I cannot disagree to that. Class B might have made a mistake on that note. But doesn't that count for Class D as well? Granted, you managed to identify the Leaders of the other classes, but that was thanks to the handiwork of Horikita-san in your class. When you first visited our camp, I believe that Class D had also gone with a defensive strategy in mind."

"But Class D did not go in with a purely defensive strategy. We incorporated offense into it as well. And as results show, it worked well. You think Class B could have shot up the Point ladder if they had been a bit more aggressive from the start. After all, you guys are the ones closest to Class A at the moment."

Kanzaki stayed silent at my thorough analysis. "Say, Takeyama-kun. Did you figure out Class B's leader as well?"

"Class B? No, we didn't. Weren't we in an alliance? We didn't even try to search for your leader."

"I see. That makes sense," Kanzaki took a pause before continuing. "Don't you think this Special Test was sprung on us with very little time for planning? The results could have been very different if we had more preparation time."

"We don't always get preparation time, do we? Besides, in this school, I've come to understand that you can never prepare for anything that is to come. The number of such Special Tests is sure to go up in the coming months. I wouldn't be surprised if they were rather unfair."

"Unfair? I don't see how it can be unfair."

"I'm talking about it from an academic viewpoint. Suppose the Special Test results was somehow measured by our academic capabilities. It would not be an exaggeration to say that Class D is almost immediately out of the picture in that sort of situation."

"You don't trust your Class at all, do you, Takeyama?" Kanzaki was quick to take a jab at me.

"I wonder. There is difference between trusting the class and knowing the limits of the class. I will gladly help when it will make a difference. But helping just for the sake of helping, knowing that there is no point in doing so, is futile."

"Your ideals are rather interesting. I have a feeling that you won't mix in well with the rest of Class B. We focus majorly on this aspect — unity."

"Please don't get me wrong. It's not that I don't desire unity in Class D. It's just that Class B is together only because they have someone like Ichinose-san leading them."

"That's one point I agree with."

With that, we stared out into the vast ocean ahead of us again. The clock showed 9:00am. Kanzaki bid me farewell, and headed to meet his friends, and I was left alone on the deck once again.

I can't believe it had been only half an hour since I last looked at my wristwatch. Time was proceeding rather slowly today.

I eventually gave up standing on the deck, and decided to go back to my room, which just so happened to be my original idea. Thankfully, I did not run into anyone conspicuous, and I closed the door to my room. I sighed and turned around, only to find Sudo, Ike and Yamauchi sitting on the floor, whispering furiously about something. Well, if Ike was interested, then it definitely had something to do with the girls.

I decided to leave before I was dragged into it.

"So basica-Takeyama!" Sudo shouted out, inevitably roping me into the group. I did not want to be seen with this group; I could already feel my social status drop just by being in their vicinity.