day 15: date night

Beginne am Anfang

"Nose hands?" Layla asks confusedly.

"Kind of," Cady agrees with a laugh. "Look at that one, see how she's using her trunk to pick up that toy? They have a bunch of little tiny muscles in there so they can move it however they want to, so they can hold things. Like you do with your hands."

"Oh." Leo says. She wiggles her fingers inside her mittens and looks back at the elephants.

"Big ears," Layla says, pointing as best she can with her mittens on. She giggles as the elephant she's pointing to flaps them a bit to get rid of a bug.

"Yeah, they do have big ears! Their usual home is really hot, so they move their ears to blow air to help them cool down," Cady explains. "And it helps blow bugs away."

"Hot," Leo complains again. "Stink."

"Do you want to go back outside?" Janis asks. Leo nods. "Okay. Lala, you coming?"

Layla looks one more time at the elephants, and nods with a wave goodbye. Cady pries her off the window and sets her down, holding her hand as she follows her sister and mommy back outside.

"Oooooooh," Leo says eagerly, pointing to the trees lit up above her as Janis zips her back into her marshmallow outfit. Layla looks up too, curious to see what she's looking at. She spins around a few times to see all the blue and green lights from different angles.

"Whoa!" Janis laughs as Leo neglects to turn around and instead topples over onto her bum as she tries to look behind her. "Careful. Should we go find something to eat?"

"Eat," the twins both agree. Cady picks Leo off the ground, and Janis takes over holding Layla's hand to head to the food court.

—-

Cady manages to both keep the twins corralled and order their food while Janis leaves them briefly to grab the stroller from the car. Luckily there aren't too many people around, so Leo and Layla can toddle around the picnic tables to get some energy out without bumping into too many other zoo-goers.

"Mommy!" Leo crows happily when Janis makes a return. Janis catches her as she barrels into her legs.

"Hi, my little marshmallow! What did you pick to eat?"

Leo's brow furrows in thought as she tries to remember. Janis chuckles and kisses her forehead as she pops her into her seat in the stroller.

"Let's go find out, hm?"

Leo nods, so Janis pushes her back over to Cady. An employee delivers their order at almost exactly the same time. A few different flavors of french fries, drinks, and a funnel cake to share. They can have all junk food for dinner for one night.

"Hi, my loves," Cady greets as part of her family makes a return. "Where's the other one? Lala, come here, pumpkin! You want some french fries?"

"Friend fry!" Layla cheers, barreling back to her family. Cady catches her and puts her in the other spot in the stroller.

"Yeah, you want a friend fry?" Cady chuckles. The twins both call them 'friend fries' instead of 'french fries', because they're to share with friends. Neither of their moms are particularly interested in correcting them. Janis takes their mittens off so they can grab their food and not worry about eating fluff, then Cady offers each of them one of the plain fries. "Be careful, they're hot."

Janis chuckles as each of her daughters grab their offered snack in a chunky fist and look at it curiously. Leo blows on hers a bit first, or tries to. Layla just dives in and pops it in her mouth to gnaw on. "Mmmm!"