TI- Imagine Thranduil comforting you

Imagine Thranduil comforting you

Caution: Angst. Not graphic, but there is mention of a child's death

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

        The Elvenking rode cautiously on his elk with a hand wrapped firmly around the handle of one of his swords. There was something not quite right about the situation. Behind him, the horses of his warriors were neighing in a frightened manner, feeling the presence of the hidden orcs that Thranduil knew were close by. A pack of the vile vermin had been spotted by some of his guards just up ahead of where Thranduil had previously been leading families back to Mirkwood from their every decade visit to Rivendell. Not wanting to put the lives of the female elves, elflings, and you in unnecessary danger, Thranduil had gathered part of the guard and headed to destroy any threat. The King halted his elk and with a tilted head, listened intently to a rustling noise nearby. Thranduil rose his hand, signaling his warriors to ready their weapons. In unison, some soldiers rose their bows while others prepared their staves.

        The King heard arrows slashing through the cold air behind him before he saw any orcs in his line of sight. That moment was short lived when out from the tall bushes ran filthy creatures. He steadied his sword and waited in disgust for the vile things to get closer. With precision, the Elvenking brought forth his weapon and in a slashing motion cut through the necks of two orcs, successfully beheading them. Just as abruptly as the orcs had appeared, they were defeated. Thranduil looked upon the fallen orcs, his eyes squinting involuntarily. There were only a few. If the King knew one thing for certain, it was the orcs never traveled in such small groups. 

He looked around for any movement amongst the bushes and waited for a surprise attack that never came. It wasn't until the King's attention was brought back to the elves next to him that he heard a coughing snicker. Thranduil followed the noise to an orc with a chest wound. The King's lip curled in revulsion and on his elk made his way closer to the wretch, only to peer down at it from his height.

        "I do not see what you find so amusing," Thranduil all but sneered. The orc snickered again, only to cough up blood. It took in a sharp inhale before responding.

        "By the time you get back to your group, your wife will be dead." The King jerked, feeling his heart sink. It had been a diversion. Thranduil had given commands and was on his way to his people and you faster than it took the orc to take its final breath. He rode with a fierce determination that if interposed, the King would have slaughtered the interrupter. 

The Elvenking was distraught between wanting to get there as quickly as possible but not wanting to arrive in fear that it would be too late. Up from the hill, he saw smoke rising. The sight filled him with anger that in return had the King urging his elk forward in a quicker pace. 

Thranduil and the warriors charged down the hill ready for battle. Without slowing down, the King rode with his sword slanted horizontally allowing him to slice through any orc he passed. He made his way toward the group of warriors that had formed a protective barrier around the elflings all the while searching for you.

        The battle was chaos and looking for familiar faces was impossible. The King could only hope that you were alright. There were many orcs in number, but his people had the upper hand. 

Thranduil's attention was captured by an agonized cry. He made his way toward the sound as quickly as he could get through the mayhem. The Elvenking thanked Eru* when his eyes unintentionally connected with your midnight blue cloak covering your battling form. Though the cry was not yours, he had been able to find you. Thranduil descended from his elk with a graceful jump and all but ran to your aid, piercing his sword through your opponent. 

You threw your sword to the floor and looked to the sobbing she-elf who you had failed. The King clutched you against his chest, distracting you from the horrible scene before you that he had not yet noticed. He grasped your shoulders and his eyes roamed your body, searching for any visible wounds. His eyes lingered on your growing belly, and your head was against his chest once more.

        "Are you alright, My Stars?" he asked. 

        "I could not save him," you whispered as tears slid down your face. Thranduil looked at you with a worried expression, his eyebrows creasing in the process. Your attention went back to the elf mother a few distances away from you who clutched her little boy's broken body in her arms. The King's eyes shut, not wanting to see the tragic scene. He should not have left. This was all his doing. How dense was he to think it would be alright if he left?

        "I could not protect that child Thranduil! And now his mother," your voice broke at the end. You looked at him through your tears. "What if that had been our child?" Thranduil hushed you and hugged your shaking body closer. What if it had been his and your child? His jaw clenched, feeling anger at the orcs and himself more. He would have never forgiven himself if something had happened to you or his soon to be child. "She lost her son because of me."

        "Shhh," he placed a kiss on your forehead. "This was not your fault, My Stars. This was not your fault. I should not have left. I will never leave you again. I promise you that no harm will ever come to our child or any other. Never again." The King let his eyes shut against your head as he wrapped one arm behind your neck and placed one hand behind your head, pressing you as close to him as he could. "Never," he promised himself.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Eru is the creator of everything in Tolkien's world