A New Environment

Kongpob

Kongpob had woken up early. His back ached from laying on that uncomfortable couch in his room. He looked at the bed where Arthit was sleeping was holding tightly onto the little lamb puppet he had with him. Kongpob had heard him cry himself to sleep the night before. Throughout the night Arthit had called out for three people as he whimpered. His mother, someone named Joon and a Mrs. Park. 

Kongpob didn't know why Arthit wanted to marry. But it was clear that he too was not happy.  He got ready for work, Arthit seemed like a heavy sleeper as he only turned over on his tummy when Kongpob accidentally knocked his briefcase onto the coffee table. Arthit simply ignored it half-dazed he'd asked what that was and when Kongpob had apologized Arthit had only replied with a soft "Okay" and had fallen right back asleep. Kongpob had chuckled finding it cute but then cleared his throat and shook his head feeling like a fool. 

He headed downstairs to already find his mother up. She offered him a smile though he could see she was stressed out. 

"What time do you and Arthit have your appointment?" She questioned. 

"At 7pm. P' Boonsri and P'Kob Sook have both agreed to be the witnesses as we discussed last night." Kongpob spoke. His mother nodded.

"We'll be staying here with Ming. Your father and I. I'll prepare a small dinner as a family. I know last night was awkward for everyone but. Arthit does seem like a nice person." His mother spoke. Kongpob tried to smile but he could only nod.

"Have breakfast before you leave for work. Your father and Kob Sook won't go into the office until 8am. You still have an hour."

"I have to leave earlier and there's a lot that I put on hold after Ruby." For a moment his mother was quiet she reached out to caress his cheek.

"It's the first time in a month that you've said her name out loud." 

"I have to move on now. Even if I don't want to. And Arthit he-"

"You both don't have to push yourselves. The law states you two have to get married. Nothing else."

"But if we want to divorce we need to have a child."

"Even if this is arranged by the law Kongpob. You can't go into this thinking it will fail already. Give yourselves time. Right now try to get to know one another, maybe think of being friends. Things will get better." Kongpob didn't think so. Even if down the road they both chose to have a child to get out of this. In the end they'd only make that child unhappy. He thought about his sister and Kob Sook. The two had been together since they were in high school. They married when they were 25. Even then, the government would do test to decide if they were compatible enough and those who were infertile were put in the back they could only marry those that could not reproduce. It was all so unfair. Their leader was Aunman Adulyadej the High Alpha. He had been ruler for almost 500 years. Wolves aged differently, therefore, lasted longer. 

Same-sex marriage was almost unheard of unless they were Omegas. Female marriages were almost unheard of on the first try that was. There was not a single same-sex couple that did not have a child from a first marriage in order to get their happy ending. Despite how heavily criticized the man was he was their leader and there was nothing they could do. In all aspects, they lived in fear. Their tyrant leader had even sent his son Korn away and no one had seen him since. As long as you followed his rules you would be safe. 

Kongpob knew his mother worried. His birthday was today, he had until midnight if not officers would come to arrest him. 

"I'll be fine." He said to her. She nodded silently and he kissed her cheek trying to calm her down.