XI

He had always been a little closed off ever since he was a child, she wasn't really sure why

He had always been a little closed off ever since he was a child, she wasn't really sure why. Mrs. Kim was sitting on her lawn chair with a book placed on her lap untouched, her mind engrossed in the thoughts of her only son. It had been almost a week since Taehyung had left for Greece and he had only called maybe once during the course of his stay there. 'Maybe he's enjoying his time there.' The lady with elegant grey strands wasn't comforted with such a thought because after all, it was her son they were talking about.

Taehyung had taken a rather special place in the Kim household, not only because he was the only son and also because well, he was the only child to survive this long in the recent years of the family's history.

It had all started when Mrs. Kim had given birth to her very first child, Kim Yeonsoo ; a fairy of happiness she had turned out to be. But the gods had another plan for the little angel. 1965 - 1966, cause of death : typhoid. The then young Mrs. Kim, Dara being her maiden name was heartbroken and according to her family and husband : completely deranged. Maybe she was but she had a right to be. The young woman of twenty two had just lost her first child. It was heartbreaking.

Then the celebrations and gushing guests were brought in the following year, Dara was pregnant once again. When she first held her baby in her hand, she could only see Yeonsoo in her second daughter as well. Kim Naeum was believed to be a rebirth of her first born. 

Yet again, the skies and stars couldn't bear to see Mrs. Kim drowning in happiness. They replaced her finally blossoming shower with burning acid, the six month old child succumbed to a respiratory disorder, the fatal one couldn't experience the normalcy of breathing. Mrs Kim had surprisingly not cried that day, all she wished to know was what her purpose in life was. Why her children never lived to even celebrate walking on the earthly ground but she was kept alive through all this torture. What kind of abominable deeds had her past life self done that she was being punished this cruelly for?

Of course, this question of hers was answered with the birth of her third child, the most beautiful creation which she could call hers, the delayed but delivered answer to her desperation. It had been a gap of four - five years before she had conceived again. She finally understood the saying 'Those with hunger, appreciate the presence of each grain.' Dara finally had a purpose in life.

She had always liked Sana, the girl seemed to be a perfect match for her reserved son. So everybody could imagine the shock she experienced when the two decided to break things off for a while. But then again, it was the twentieth- oh no, the twenty first century. Relationships change, trends change. But the situation? Oh dear, the situation and the core of fights remain the same throughout generations.

"My lady, it's rather late in the evening now. Shall I set your dinner?" One of her maids had rushed towards her and that's when she realized how she had lost track of time.

"Yes dear, you do that. Oh and also," the servant looked at her with attentiveness while her mistress contemplated her following words before blurting them out.

"Did I get any call from my son today?"

The inside of the small yet modish boutique was rather warm in contrast to the harsh weather outside. Taehyung was grateful to be offered some piping hot tea by his generous hosts but he couldn't really enjoy and sip in the warmth as he could feel the confusing eyes of the two staring at him. He looked up to find he was indeed right.

"I- uhm I'm sorry for being such a trouble at this late hour. But it is just that-"

"Oh no sire never! It is no trouble, heck I'm happy I found you again. Remember I told you about the cuckoo foreigner who had got hit by that drunk bastard? Yeah that's him." He whispered towards his sister's side who just gave him a look to keep his mouth shut. And that was all it took.

Taehyung looked at the exchange between the sibling and fell silent. That sinking feeling his heart carried as a child was surfacing again, after so many years? 'Come on Taehyung you're a grown adult. Get over being an only child for god's sake.'  He cleared his throat to draw their attention back and was successful.

"Er yes Mr Kim? Yes Mr Kim, what has brought you here? Any business with my brother?" The short haired asked with a polite smile, her brother having found himself a nice seating on the rustic couch near the counter. Taehyung looked at the two for a minute before sighing a little and speaking the reason of his sudden arrival.

"Actually, I wanted to buy a gift...an apology hamper of a sort you can say?"

"So shall I add a few scented candles as well-"

"For some special lady eh?" Jimin leaned across the couch to where Taehyung had taken a seat a while ago, watching the foreign man's cheeks turn a shade rosy. Lisa smacked his head slightly with her rough hand and the man groaned, he was just a man of curious nature. He just loved people and their personalities.

"Jimin!" the girl whisper yelled while he mocked her high pitched yell. Taehyung seemed to be enjoying the show as his lips curled up in amusement and he politely turned his head the other way, as if not to interfere in the sibling's bickering.

"Now Mr Ki-"

"Uh I'd prefer if you would call me Taehyung." the owner smiled brightly and nodded. "Taehyung, take a look at this. I've made it in the exact color palette you wanted." Both the men got up to take a peek at the nicely packed hamper placed on the counter and let out a sigh of awe. It was indeed quite a beauty, an eye pleasing set of scented scarves and candles, some ear hoops and studs endearingly packed in a small box. The show stealer was of course, a beautiful watch with silver linings around its case. Taehyung had requested a watch to be at the center because being a man of quality over quantity, he wanted to give her something worthwhile and useful. The moments of her asking for the time at least a dozen times while they were walking down the street that evening stuck with him and he just had to get her this. And of course the whole package was in the shades of purple and lilac : the colors the woman personified.

"It's- it's bloody brilliant." He was at a loss of words but yet a slightly violent compliment made its way through his lips. The girl said something witty in return but he didn't hear her, he was way too busy missing the actual lavender that had bewitched him. Who he'd hurt.

"Jimin, would I be the worst foreigner ever if I ask you to drive me to my hotel at this late hour?"

"Believe me sire I saw this coming the minute your snot was racing down that window. I'll go take the car out."

-