Chapter 16-In A Bad Position

The entire DA, minus the Slytherins and Chang, of course, was gaping at the door through which Umbridge and her Inquisitorial Squad had just smashed a log.

"Hem, hem! Well, what have we here?"

Umbridge's voice was the last thing Draco wanted to listen to.

"Detention for each and every one of you, and I will notify you of the time and location. If you are not there, there will be severe consequences." The ugly tad smiled sweetly as she said, "Harry Potter, if you would come with me to Dumbledore's office."

Draco saw Hermione whisper something to Harry. As Potter walked by the squad, he glared at Chang before giving a group glare to the Slytherins who were also in the DA. Suddenly, Draco felt a warmth in his pocket. He pulled out the fake Galleon and the message read: Say nothing about the Slytherins. A few seconds later, a new message appeared: will explain soon.

Potter followed Umbridge, Filch, and the Squad followed the three. Chang was left at the door to the Room of Requirement where she would listen to Hermione's explanation with the rest of the DA.

As they were passing the Slytherin common room, Umbridge dismissed the squad and they all went inside the common room once Potter, the toad, and FIlch were out of sight.

"I don't reckon we're invited back, do you?" Adrian said to Slytherin DA members.

But upon seeing everyone else, all the people from the other houses the Slytherins had worked so hard to build trust with, look at them with utter contempt, they didn't feel like joking.

Neither did Hermione, which was why she took on a position of leadership once the intruders had left.

"So we've been compromised," she began, "but I'd say we've gotten plenty of practice in. You've each got a lot more knowledge than the rest of the school combined."

"Still doesn't explain why you just let the Slytherins get away," Ron said, evidently angry.

"I'm fairly certain Umbridge is working with the Death Eaters." This was true, as Draco had confirmed earlier. "I've also figured out that Dr-Malfoy's lying about everything." This wasn't true, but Hermione knew it was for the best. "I don't think he's got You-Know-Who tucked away under the covers of his guest bed, but he's definitely on their side. All that stuff he said earlier this year, he's repeated to me over the past few months, and I could tell his lies from a mile away. Why did I let him teach this entire time? Because he's good. The only truth he's told is probably about how Snape taught him complex magic. I'm not sure why he actually taught you all, but it was probably just to keep up appearances here."

"Why would you reveal Dumbledore's Army?" someone said to Cho Chang, who was standing by the door, slightly whimpering.

"I didn't have a choice!" Cho insisted. "I think she slipped Veritaserum into the tea she offered me. I should have known she wasn't just being polite."

"She probably would've forced it down your throat anyway," Ron muttered.

"Anyway," Hermione said, "what's done is done. Now all we can do is remember what we've been taught and practice on our own to the best of our abilities. And anytime you see someone you don't like, feel free to practice on them as long as you don't get caught."

Everyone just stared at her in shock.

"Hermione," Ron said, "is that really you?"

"I can be bad if I want to be," Hermione replied simply, a smug look attempting to break out over her whole face.

"Hermione, that's not exactly bad. Most people do it anyway."

Scowling, Hermione said, "Well, now you have permission. Now, no one say anything about the Slytherins because they'll come after us for sure. And although we're equipped with enough defense material, so are they."