Chapter 5

"Here's that file you'd asked me for. I compiled all the HUD footage with that tri-droid to show the different viewpoints of its takedown," you explain, handing over the datapad to Tech. "I think this is the smoothest way to take them down, besides having someone drop down on their dome and destroy the core that's there."

Tech nods, tapping away at his wrist before pulling the footage up. He watches carefully as it cuts between different angles, of Crosshair's vantage point to Hunter's visor as Wrecker runs in front of him. It's a seamless blend of the four different pieces of footage, and a small smile graces his feature as Tech taps away at the datapad, sharing the file with the rest of the Bad Batch.

"You did a good job on this," he says softly, not looking up from the datapad as he backs up the data within their server. "This is really going to help us next time we run into them. You even managed to raise the resolution on Crosshair's footage despite the zoom and -"

You clear your throat, trying to mask a sniffle as Tech looks up at the noise.

"What's wrong? Was it something I said?" he asks tentatively, noticing that your eyes were wet. "Sunshine?"

"You really think I did a good job?" you ask sheepishly, wiping at your face with the back of your hand.

"Of course I do!" Tech realizes you're crying and oh fuck, if anyone else hears - "I wouldn't say it if I didn't mean it."

You nod, smiling despite the tears falling at a rapid pace. "Thanks, Tech."

You feel warm, welcome, and wanted within the ranks of the group - there's something to be said about the feeling you get with everyone surrounding you.

As if on cue, the other three members of the Bad Batch walked into the room. Hunter's jaw is set slightly - he looks annoyed - as he approaches Tech.

"What did you do?" he asks, snatching the datapad.

"What? What did I do?" Tech stammers, nose twitching.

Crosshair eyes you cautiously as he follows behind Hunter, peering over the sergeant's shoulder at the datapad.

"Why'd you make Sunshine cry?" the sharpshooter smirks.

"Really, Tech?!" Wrecker objects, huffing as he comes behind you, a large arm wrapping across your shoulders.

You wipe at your eyes quickly, warmth flooding your face as you try to avoid the attention.

"I didn't!" Tech objects, his hands up in surrender. "I didn't do it purposely, either!"

"He didn't," you finally say, heart hammering in your chest. You're sure Hunter could feel it, given the way he looked at you. "I - I'd just finished the footage he'd asked for and - well, Tech said I did a good job, and I haven't really been told that before, so I just -"

"Started crying," Crosshair finishes, an eyebrow raised. He looks between the commander and you, a silent chuckle rumbling in his chest.

"Yeah," you admit, looking down at the floor.

Tech simply gestures at you with a hand, irritation clear on his features because of the accusation that he made you cry on purpose. He would never, he tells himself, never make you cry on purpose. (His mind idly wanders to the future, to a different setting and - shit, Hunter's in the room. Can't.)

"Guess we'll have to fix that," Hunter muses quietly, returning his attention to the datapad in front of him.

"No one is as good as our Sunshine!" Wrecker cheers, lifting you off the ground in his grip.

You yelp at the movement - and the praise - and fight every urge to have another reaction to praise in front of the entire crew.

"Don't break her, Wrecker," Crosshair sighs, shaking his head as he turned his attention to one of the holo displays.

You could tell he meant both physically and mentally with the way his shoulders shook with a silent laugh.