Chapter 1

It's your first day actually meeting Clone Force 99 and you're nervous.

You'd been assigned as their intelligence officer only recently - you're not green from the Academy, but you're definitely different than most of the other officers in your track. You have an eye for detail, noticing things in the corner of HUD frames most would ignore.

In preparation for your meeting, and making sure you leave a good impression on the Clone Force you'd be working with, you spent hours watching whatever footage you could on the transport over. You neglected sleep on some nights, curling up with your datapad to watch holovids in an attempt to learn more about them.

Sure, it means you've got bags under your eyes when you make your way to the command center, and sure, you're a bit shaky from all the caf, but –

"Officer, meet your new squad - Clone Force 99." The Commander introduces you by your rank, trying to get out of there as fast as he could. He was uncomfortable near these specific clones, and nervous about how well they'd deal with you..

"Uh, right, hi!" You stammer, quickly pulling up a holovid in the center of the display table. You try to keep yourself focused, but your voice wavers as you notice the four clones take off their helmets. Your heart rate quickens and you pray no one is paying attention to the way you're looking them over. "I've been watching your most recent footage and I noticed that a lot of your communication is coded, and –"

"Slow down there, officer, this is only an introductory meeting," the Commander grimaces, a hand going to his temple. He'd been warned you were... different? But different for a human should not have meant this innate ability to hyperfixate on the task before her and –

"No, let her speak." The objection comes from Crosshair, who, now that you've finally seen him without his helmet, is actually even more terrifying.

"I think I understand for the most part what you're doing, I made some notes, but I'm not quite sure what this phrase means, when Tech manages to get into the system, he usually says he's processing, but instead - two nights ago? He says uploading? Every time you're working on something, connected to any kind of mainframe or computer system, your code is processing and -" You're rambling as you play the clip from Tech's HUD, free hand waving about.

"I was noticing there was a firewall within the system. It's not a usual occurrence, but it's a code for when I need more time," Tech explains, features softening as he comes to stand next to you.

Wrecker, uncharacteristically quiet, stands behind you - he's able to see clearly over your head given your much smaller frame. "You must be real smart, huh?" he comments, causing you to jump.

"N-No? I just - I've spent some time watching your videos and focusing on the details and I think understanding your code is important for understanding your movements and maneuvers and –" you ramble, craning your head upwards to look at the giant.

He laughs, causing your chest to rumble before he pats you on the shoulder.

Hunter and Crosshair exchange a look, turning away from the center console.

"I like her," the Seargent whispers, looking over his shoulder as he watches you ramble excitedly to Tech as he explains some of their other codes.

"I didn't think this was even possible..." the sniper notes, an eyebrow raised. They weren't fond of regs, or squishy officers who got in their way, questioning how they did things.

But you? You accepted them from the moment you started watching their footage.