Half a day into it, a sphinx attacked.

Kali got separated from Naia, Makoa, and Ralph, and then got chased while being called a 'tasty demigod snack'. She luckily ended up at Camp Half-Blood, behind it's boarders, where Lee Fletcher killed the monster with an arrow, and Luke calmed her down and gained enough of her trust to take her to the camp's infirmary to fix her twisted ankle and a bleeding lip she got by accidentally biting it when she fell at one point.

A day later, she got claimed by both of her parents when she snuck off to the beach where she met a Neried named Eione, who revealed to be, in mortal terms, her aunt.

Everyone was shocked, to say the least. No one really knew what to do. Even Chiron, the activities director and someone who, to Kali, seemed like he knew everything, was surprised and confused.

To this day, Kali still had a hard time believing that she was the lost princess, cursed with mortality, of the King and Queen of the Oceans, Poseidon and Amphitrite. But hey, the memories of living underwater at the start of her life finally made some sense; she had started to think those memories were just some very long and very detailed dreams. She also finally knew that marine animals were actually talking to her; it hadn't been her too active imagination after all. It was a bit of a relief to know that she hadn't gone crazy in her short life span.

She stayed at camp for a week before she went back home. Chiron's decision, since she had explained that she got separated from her family.

Ralph hadn't put out a missing person's report, but Naia and Makoa had been extremely worried; he acted worried, because Chiron came along, but after that it was a different story. Another week later, after smoothing everything in her mortal life over and explaining hesitantly to Ralph that she wanted to spend the rest of her summer at a camp, she was back at Camp Half-Blood in no time. Chiron wanted her to stay year round but said it was up to her in the end about what she wanted to do. Kali knew she would never leave her brother and sister alone at the hands of Ralph longer than needed. Not as long as either of them were alive.

But Kali was excited to go back – a little anxious about leaving her brother and sister, but excited nonetheless. She couldn't wait to catch up with the friends she made. Arianna, Oliver, Adelaide, Grant, Lee, Silena, Luke–

"No, cheetahs are way better than tigers!" Makoa's voice broke her out of her thoughts so suddenly it made her jump.

"Cheetahs can't even roar!" Naia argued back.

Kali had no idea how they got to this. Weren't they just talking about what they did during their last day of school?

"But they're, like, super duper fast," said Makoa said. "Tigers are just orange. And stripes are boring – cheetahs have spots!"

"But tigers are bigger!" It was on the verge of a whine, and Naia glared at her little brother. She then shifted, turning in Kali's lap the best she could. Kali made sure she didn't fall off or disrupt either of the skirts of their school uniform. "Kali. What's the best predator? Ti–."

"Sharks."

Makoa glanced at her leg. She ignored it.

Naia groaned. "You didn't even let me finish! Tigers or cheetahs, Kali? You can't say sharks."

Kali shrugged. "Cheetahs are pretty cute, but tigers are scarier."