𝔍𝔬𝔫𝔞𝔱𝔥𝔞𝔫 𝔎𝔢𝔩𝔩𝔢𝔯

I decided to take a break from the week of eating hospital food. I took the bus to a McDonald's, bought breakfast and a coffee, and waited for the bus to take me back. When I went to check in under the anonymous name I made for myself, Jonathan Keller, the nurse started to speak to me. 
"Mr. Keller. That's the first time I've seen you out of the hospital all week. A whole two hours. A first-time record." she smiled. I nodded. I've been trying not to talk much in case my voice is recognizable. "Who is it you're in to see again?" she asked. "(Y/N) (L/N)." I answered. The nurse smiled. "Perfect. A nurse just came from her room to give her some solids. Maybe you would like to share." she grinned walking to the door. "Sh-she's awake?" I asked. "Yes sir. She woke up about an hour ago."

The nurse opened the door and I nearly ran to (Y/N)'s room. "Here you are, Mr. Keller. Have a nice day." The nurse smiled. I nodded at her. I paused at the closed door. I'm not sure why I was so nervous to see her. "I don't know how she feels. She could be sad, mad. What if she doesn't remember me? What if there's permanent damage. What if she wants to be alone?" I thought to myself.
I turned around, ready to leave but then a thought glued my feet to the ground. "What if she feels alone?"

I took a deep breath and knocked on the door. "Come in." I heard her soft voice say. Something about it was different; it wasn't sarcastic or playful like usual. It was just, sad. This made me even more nervous. Thoughts of just turning around and leaving flooded my mind, but the thought of her feeling alone overpowered it.

I opened the door and saw (Y/N) looking out the big window next to her bed at the gray rainy morning. I took another breath and walked in. I put my foot on the table and saw the hospital food on her tray over her lap.

I sat on the chair next to her bed and she turned around. When she looked at me, I froze. I don't know if it's the fact that I haven't seen her eyes open in a week or the fact that there was no light in them. They were dull. She was different and it was obvious in her eyes and voice. 

I looked at her untouched food. She looked at it then at me. "I'm not hungry." she weakly smiled. I couldn't form words despite the questions I had; "Is there permanent damage? How do you feel? What do you remember?" but I couldn't bring myself to ask.

"Well, there's no permanent damage. I won't be able to walk for a while and I'll be in a lot of pain. Possible PTSD too." she said. I still said nothing. "T-the nurses were telling me that today was the first day you've been out all week." she said. Nothing. 
She nervously laughed and rubbed the back of her neck. "Do I look that bad?" she asked. I examined her face that I didn't even notice was scarred.

"I'm sorry. Yeah, I never left. I hope you don't mind it's just that I know you don't have any family-" I felt her soft hand on mine. "Thank you. It means a lot that you were by my side." she said. 
I just know my face was red. "It was no problem." I humbled. She sat up in bed. "You must be tired. Sleeping in a hospital chair all week isn't good." she said. I shook my head. "It was fine. I didn't mind." I ensured her. "Well I'll be in here for a week to recover and physical therapy." she warned me. I nodded. "Tomorrow I'll go back and get us another week's worth of clothes." She smiled. "You don't have to stay with me C." I nodded. "I know. Trust me, I want to." I said.

(Y/N) nodded and sat up and didn't say anything. She just looked out into the rain. "(Y/N)." I said. she turned from the window and smiled. "Yeah?" she asked. I looked down. "I-" How do I tell her something feels off about her? That something about her isn't right?

"I was scared you wouldn't wake up. If you didn't have to take me to the-" "C, stop." she interrupted. "Don't apologize for having to go to the hospital. I was happy to take you. If you said no I would've gone anyway. Who's fault this is isn't in this room, he's in jail so don't worry about it." she said.
I froze. "I'm glad you're ok." I said. She turned to look back out into the rain. "Yeah. I'm, ok." she said sadly.

*One Week Later*

I helped (Y/N) into her wheelchair. "You don't have to push me you know." she said. "I want to." I insisted. I really didn't. Not that I didn't want to help her out. I just hated the thought of the only person I care about besides m sister unable to walk for the time being.

"If you say so." she answered. I checked her out and pushed her to the parking lot. I looked at the car I've been scared to get in for two weeks. "What's the matter?" she looked up at me. "I- I've been scared to drive since the accident." I admitted. She smiled. "That's ok. We can take the bus-" "No. No, with covid and everything going around it's bad enough you were in there for so long. The bus is filled with germs. I'm ok taking it alone but not with you." I said. (Y/N) blushed and nodded. "I don't want you to drive if you're scared." she looked down. "I'll have to eventually." I shrugged.

I helped her out of her wheelchair and into the passenger side of the seat. I folded her chair and put it in the trunk before sitting in front of the wheel. I pulled my keys out of my sweater pocket and sighed. "Alright." I said nervously. I felt a small, soft hand on mine. I looked at (Y/N) and she softly smiled at me. "We'll be ok." she ensured me.

Just then, my nerves settled all the way down and I nodded. I started the car and started driving back to the apartments.

I helped (Y/N) get settled into her's. "I'm going to take a hot shower. And spend some time alone." she said. "Are you sure?" I asked. she smiled and nodded. "I'll be alright. Goodnight." she smiled as if she was trying to politely kick me out. I went to my apartment with her on my mind.