As soon as the brownie is secured in my small cross body, Maya shoves us all out of the apartment, locks the door then leads us downstairs like a parents leading their kids. Parker and a few of the others are already gone and Maya is practically shaking because she is so nervous. Being me I text Ryder a little good luck text as we all get into the car and Tristian helps some people climb into the third row.

Me: Don't embarrass me in front of my friend's hockey boy.

I don't expect him to answer but he does almost instantly.

Ryder: Did you bring the goods?

I snap a picture of the brownie in my bag, sending it to him quickly knowing he likely will only answer for a couple more minutes.

Me: Goods on route, better hold up your end.

Ryder: Don't doubt me, ice princess. I will risk life and limb for this so-called life changing brownie.

Me: As you should.

Ryder: Game time, see you after when you deliver me my brownie.

Me: yeah yeah good luck you bitch.

I tuck my phone in my jacket pocket before driving Maya and the car full of drunks to the arena. It is packed when we arrive 3 minutes before the game. Maya is cursing us all that we will have bad seats now. We all walk behind her as she basically sprints, while we move at a more leisurely pace. It is clear that Maya is the only one who wants to be here but none of us burst her bubble. Besides it is nice to all hang out together and do something different, even if all of us detest hockey with every fiber of our being.

Actually detest may be a strong word. I grew up in a hockey family. All three of my brothers played and we often went to Islanders games growing up. My dad is a die hard Islanders fan so he raised his kids to be as well. I enjoyed Islanders games growing up more for the family memories than the games but I know my way around a hockey game. Though I never flex my knowledge I know hockey almost as well as I know figure skating. And while I don't actually follow our hockey team closely, the family group chat always keeps me up on the team, usually more than I would like but I know I caught Ryder off guard the other day, knowing who he was playing.

As we all find an open spot in the student section I feel the hype around me, beginning to feed off of it. The entire arena holds over 5,000 people and tonight it is pretty packed; the most packed I have ever seen it, that is for sure. I am slightly jealous, ice skating rarely pulls crowds like this but the atmosphere is something I would love to feed off of. I now understand how Ryder can handle the demanding schedule they have, even if you were barely alive this crowd could get you energized.

As the team steps onto the ice the arena amplifies in energy; the sound is nearly deafening. I actually flinch as people scream and cheer and the band begins to play. I almost feel bad for the away team who will have to work against this intense crowd for the next three periods.

The first period is a nail biter and though I try to fringe disinterest I catch myself a few times cursing the ref or cheering with the crowd over another blocked shot. Ryder has not scored and I can't help but text him as the team heads into the locker room for the first intermission.

Me: This brownie looks so good, shame you will never get to try it.

Within seconds I already have a reply.

Ryder: Tsk tsk your lack of faith in me is alarming butt. Just wait, I love to build suspense.

I am not even shocked when he answers. I was hoping he would honestly. The whole point of the text was to bring out his competitive side. I know the more I push him the harder he will play which is what this team needs right now to end this scoreless game. It is dirty but I am not spending 2 and a half hours of my life at a hockey game to see my team lose.