Chapter 34: Celebrating

We rushed back to the house to change before we went to the Underground. I had a little trouble choosing an outfit since my legs were still bruised and stitched, and I didn't really want to show that off. Danielle and Veronica combined their uncanny fashion sense and came up with an outfit. They had to work a little to convince me to wear it, since the top was cropped and would show my belly a little. 

Veronica teased, "C'mon, do it for Louis."

"Fine!" I said and changed right in front of them.

"Holy crap, those bruises still look horrible!" Veronica commented.

"Why do you think I told him I never wanted to see him again?" I asked in a matter-of-fact way.

"Don't know where you got that courage, girl, but you really put him in his place today. I think we should really re-create that scene and put it into a movie. You'd get a standing ovation for that gutsy performance!"

I shrugged, as if I didn't know where my courage came from. In reality, I knew that I got it from Louis.

Veronica and I headed downstairs to meet the guys, and Danielle ran to her room to retrieve her purse. My mother spotted us and asked, in a suprisingly voice, "Where are you ladies off to?"

"We're just going to a club."

"Who else is going?" She asked. "You both look fabulous."

Wait. What was going on? My mother - the evil woman who could have been Walt Disney's muse when he created all of his wicked queens - just gave us a compliment. 

Then Danielle rushed up to us and asked, "Are you ready?"

My mother turned up her nose at Danielle and said, "Oh, you're going, too? I suppose that all of the help are tagging along as well. Don't forget to take a shower when you get home." Then she walked away.

Well, whatever that momentary glimpse of propriety was, it must have been temporary insanity because her bitchiness was back in full force.

I'd had two bad experiences at the Underground, but this time would be different, I just knew it. I was going with people whom I cared about and I was so pumped up on adrenaline that I felt like I could take on the world. It helped that I forced myself not to dwell on questions about mine and Louis' future. 

We walked in a group through the subway tunnels and Louis kept me close to him, his arm around my shoulders. We came upon the old woman sitting in the alcove, and I had a strange feeling of relief that she was back. I stopped several feet away from her and Louis looked at me curiously. I leaned over and said quietly, “I want to help her.” 

"Really?" He seemed surprised and confused at the same time. 

“I just...it's a long story, but should I give her some money or something?” 

“Chances are that she'll use it for drugs or alcohol. But you can give her some if you want to.” 

I pulled out a $100 bill and squatted down in front of her, handing her the cash. Her eyes bulged out of her head as she looked at the money and then at me. “Use this to buy some food for yourself, okay?” I instructed.

She nodded and said "thank you" through her almost-toothless grin. 

I smiled, stood up and continued on with Louis. He gave my shoulder a squeeze as we walked, and he planted a little kiss to my forehead. 

We got inside the club and it seemed uncharacteristically crowded, and it smelled strongly of beer and sweat. I choked down my gag reflex and focused on Louis, who kept a tight grasp on my hand and led me to a table with everyone else. They ordered a few pitchers of beer, and even though I was too young to drink, I took a few (okay, maybe more than a few) sips of his. The taste was growing on me, and it made me feel even more high than I already was due to the day's events.