17

December 2009
The six year old awoke suddenly in her small toddler bed. Sweat and tears dripping down her face as she shook in fear.

Her bedroom was pitch black, the kind of darkness that scared adults. Her nightlight was off and she noticed a certain coldness in the room as well.

The power was out.

The child quickly wrapped a soft, fuzzy blanket around her small form, making sure she had her stuffed koala, and wobbled her way into her fathers bedroom.

"Daddy, I'm scared!" Aleah whined, jumping up into the bed.

The sudden jump startled Chris awake, slowly he opened his eyes to see his daughter climbing up. It took him a minute to realize what was happening before he grabbed the sheets and quickly pulled them up over a body that slept next to him.

"What are you doing?" Scarlett groaned, sleepily as Chris held the sheet over her body.

"We got company." Chris whispered amusingly. Her eyes shot open just as Aleah plopped herself down in between the two best friends.

"Hi mama." The six year old whispered, placing her small clammy hands on her mother's cheeks, before snuggling into her.

"Oh shit!" Scarlett shrieked, her eyes widening as the realization kicked in. The 24 year old jumped out of bed, keeping a blanket attached to her body.

Aleah scrunched her face in confusion as she watched her mother freak out at 2 o'clock in the morning.

"Chris!" Scarlett nervously yelled, trying to snap him out of whatever fantasy he was in and help her.

"What's the big deal? She came out of you." Chris laughed, getting out of bed to gather Scarlett's clothes from the floor.

The 24 year old only rolled her eyes, her undressed body was not something for her six year old daughter's eyes to look at.  

"Aleah baby?" Scarlett turned to her daughter who was still looking at her full of confusion. "Do mommy a favor and cover your eyes, okay?"

Aleah nodded, closing her eyes tightly before placing her tiny palms over them.

Scarlett raced to clothe herself as the two best friends eyed each other awkwardly, having a silent conversation.

"Can I look now?" Aleah whined. All the six year old wanted to do was snuggle with her parents and feel protected but she still didn't understand what was going on.

"Yes princess, you can open your eyes now." Chris sighed a sigh of relief as he hopped back into bed next to his daughter. Scarlett followed, climbing into bed on the opposite side of Aleah.

The six year old turned to face Scarlett, snuggling into her body. She nuzzled her head into her mother's chest while Chris shuffled closer, wrapping his arms around the two girls.

"What's got you all worked up, princess?" Chris asked, as he brushed a damp piece of hair from the child's face.

"I had a bad dream." Aleah whispered, causing Scarlett to open her eyes and look into her daughters identical orbs.

"Oh baby, it was only a dream." She cooed, kissing the child's forehead, noticing the sweat that lingered on her face. "You're safe with us."

Aleah's eyes began to water, her green orbs becoming glossier by the second.

"Tell me about the dream, sweetie." She encouraged calmly.

"The car accident." Aleah mumbled. "But you and daddy died."