15

~October 2009~
"Aleah is a very nice kid." The woman started with a smile. "She's quiet and reserved but overall very sweet."

The two best friends shared a worried look before turning back to Aleah's first grade teacher, Miss Smith.

"Although, I have noticed some of the other kids picking on her." Miss Smith stated. "I've talked to a few of the kid's parents but kids will be kids."

Chris' brows furrowed as he looked around the empty classroom, four desks put together with little chairs. Name tags were taped on the edge of the desk and he noticed his daughter's desk on the right side of the classroom.

"Is she behind at all?" Chris asked, still admiring the colorful classroom.

"Yes, which is completely understandable as she's only been here for two weeks." Miss Smith said. "But she's been struggling with math and reading."

Scarlett sighed, she knows Aleah now. She knows that her daughter loves to read her little books that sit on her bookshelf. And she knows that Aleah is a good reader for a first grader.

"I'm worried it's because she doesn't socialize with her classmates." Scarlett announced, referring back to a parenting book she had read a few days ago.

The teacher nodded her head, as she looked around for a piece of paper in her drawer.

"I don't think that's why she's struggling." Miss Smith said, handing the 24 year old a drawing Aleah had created a few days ago in class, before anyone starting bothering her.

The drawing was really good for a six year old. It was a landscape with a house in the background and the yellow sun was drawn in the corner of the page. Three stick figured people were also drawn in the middle of the page with names written above their heads. Mommy, Aleah, Daddy.

Chris looked over Scarlett's shoulder to see the drawing, a little smile on his face appearing as well.

But Scarlett's smile faded, this wasn't her and Chris that held onto Aleah's hand.

It was her adoptive parents.

"I don't know the exact situation, but she's six." Miss Smith reminded the two best friends. "She has no idea what to feel or how to express her feelings."

Chris' smile faded quickly as he too, realized the drawing was not him and Scarlett. He felt horrible, he felt that he should have let the kid feel what she needed to feel.

Instead both Scarlett and Chris expected the six year old to 'get over it'. Although it wasn't something she could get over. Her adoptive parents where always known to her as her real parents, she couldn't just let go. It's only been a month.

__

November 2009
(Thanksgiving day)

The 24 year old's mother, Melanie thought it'd be a great idea for Chris, Scarlett and Aleah to spend Thanksgiving at her house. After persuading Chris to invite his family as well, she invited her other kids, including her ex-husband.

"Mom, I think this might be a little too much for Aleah to handle." Scarlett said as she helped her mother prepare thanksgiving dinner in the kitchen of the brownstone apartment.

She could see Chris and Aleah playing in the living room, her little giggles echoing throughout the house as Chris tickled the little girl.

"She'll be fine." Melanie stated, pushing the turkey into the oven. "I don't know why your so against her meeting the family."