The Impasse (Ten Years Earlier)

💖 Don't forget to vote/comment! 💖

***Alexei's POV***

"I know it hurts. I really do. Remember that it always gets better." I try to console Sebastian, again. This is like a song that runs on loop. Sebastian falls hard for a guy only to find himself with a broken heart, empty arms and wet tissues beside his bed. I surely wish I had the hots for my best friend. It would be a match made in heaven. Seb is just way too much for me. I like my lover to be tiny, dependent and quiet. Sebastian just can't fill that place in my soul.

"Am I unlovable? What is wrong with me?" Seb throws his arms out in front of him, burying his face in the pillow of his bedding. It breaks me every single time that I see Seb cry over someone that never deserved his attention, let alone his tears.

"You stop that Sebastian Royals. You are not unlovable. There is nothing wrong with you. The right person will love you in ways that do not leave room for doubt. Fuck Roger. Fuck Corey. Most of all, fuck Leo Smith. Seb, you have to quit doing this to yourself. Leo wasn't even the bee's knees. Did you see that cow lick? I mean come on, your children would have had hair like Alfalfa. Nobody wants that." I run my hand through Sebastian's curly mop. It is a tangled mess of frizz. I honestly wish Seb would just cut his hair short. I loved the feeling of my fingertips scratching his crew cut.

"Is this what we have reduced ourselves to? We judge people on a hair pattern?" Sebastian smiles as he lifts his head. When he turns those dimples to me, I feel a wave of comfort wash over me. We are going to be okay.

"Not particularly. I could easily have pointed out the fact that Leo's ass looks like he was slapped one too many times with Principal Larry's paddle. Did you see the way his pockets always fell past his thighs? That kid is about as curvy as Paris Hilton." It feels good to finally air out my grievances with fucking Leo Smith. That shithead isn't half as good looking as he portrays himself. He must have bought his confidence at the same Cosco he buys his Axe body spray. The boy always reeked of cheap cologne and arrogance.

"I don't think he was that bad." Seb rolls off of the bed, standing in front of me with his hands on his hips. I will take sassy over sad any day.

"Name three things that made you fall for that kid?" Standing up, I tower over my life long friend.

"He is funny. He is handsome-ish. His hugs were warm." Sebastian struggles to give value to the boy. I knew that before I asked. One thing about Seb, he loves through rose colored glasses. It is infuriating to watch Sebastian look past every single red flag only to focus on the parade that is in the far-off distance.

"Not funny. He was tolerable. Handsome? In what galaxy? I have seen better looking characters in a Stephen King film. Hugs? Give me a break, Seb. I have an endless supply of warm hugs. Hell, I will throw in cuddles. On a drunk night, I may even kiss you. Don't give me that shit. A puppy would be better suited for you based on those requirements." Grabbing Seb's hand, I pull him out of his room and into the hallway. We are going anywhere to find this guy a new crush. We can't waste our entire summer pining over the likes of Leo Smith.

"Where are we going?" Seb takes long strides with his lanky legs. I easily out pace him. Sebastian was built for a runway. I was built sturdier, taller and far better looking.

"Out. Stop asking questions. Have I ever steered you wrong?" Waving to Mrs. Angela on our way out of the door, I give Seb a reminding glare. I asked a question. I expect a fucking answer.

"Don't give me that damn look. I'm not one of your pets, falling at your feet." Seb stumbles over the pavement, tripping into my arms just as he makes his proclamation. I imagine that none could have worse luck than that. I pick Sebastian up with a chuckle. I'm pretty fucking amused, myself.