The Ducks Are Dead

Start from the beginning

"Drop it, Banks. Let's get this going already." I spoke impatiently after he skated away. "I want Banks." I said glaring at the boy. "But i wanted to face off banks. You're the starter anyway, and Rick's the starter." Charlie whined like a baby and i hit the back of his helmet. "I changed my mind, what happened to wanting to start?"

"Come on, Scarlett." He practically threw a tantrum with Varsity lined up. "My decision is final, start us off." I nodded to the center of the ice and he mumbled insults at me while skating away. Charlie got knocked down not even seconds in. I skated up to Cole, who had the puck, with Aspen and he smirked.

"Two for two." He laughed before slamming us down. We both let out grunts as we hit the ground. "What a jack-off." I sneered jumping back up. "Oh hell no." Aspen raced towards him. She shouldered him and got the puck while I skated past her. "A.J, here!" I yelled and she quickly past it over.

Rick came up and slammed me into the boards. He stole the puck and shot it into our goal. Goldberg, not surprisingly, slid missing the puck completely. "Shit." I mumbled while cameron helped me up. "You okay?" He looked at me worriedly and I nodded. "I'm good."

"Flying V!" I yelled and everyone got ready. The Flying V may have been good to beat everyone else, but not varsity. They knocked everyone down and I groaned. "I mean, how did we beat some of the best teams in the world, but we cant get score on a couple of rich douche bags?" I complained to Cameron who just looked at me.

"Calm down. You're too stressed, Scar. We just started." He put his hand on my shoulder and i let out a breath. I looked over and saw adam giving us a glare. I smiled sarcastically at him and it slowly turned into a disgusted look.

There's another score for varsity. 2-0.

"Can you stop pushing around my players like a punching bag?" I yelled to Rick while helping up Connie. He just smirked and skated away. "God, i'm gonna be beyond bruised tomorrow." She groaned holding her ribs. "Tell me about it." I agreed and we got back into the game.

I skated up behind charlie who just got thrown at me. "Try the triple deke." I told him while looking down at him. He got up and nodded before skating away. "Holy fuc-" I yelled when i saw he didn't make it. "Easy there." Cole taunted skating past me.

"That was a cheap shot." I complained after seeing rick completely throw Goldberg out of the way to shoot. "Let me at 'em, Charlie." Connie said to the boy who was holding her back. "Got a little problem? Come on, sweetie. Take a shot."Rick smirked and I scoffed. "Alright, perv. Get back in the game." I hit his shoulder while skating past him with Connie and Charlie.

Adam was trying to get the puck off Charlie and I was skating behind them incase Charlie needed help. Charlie got angry and wrapped his arm around Banks' neck. He tackled them right to the ground. "Get off me, Charlie!" Adam yelled pushing the boy off and standing up.

"How do you like it, Banks?"

"Yeah, nice takedown. You'd be in the box."

"Go cry to your rich parents!"

"Alright, fine!"

Charlie started hitting Adam and everyone just watched the fight unfold. "Should we stop 'em?" Aspen muttered while turning to me. "Nah, this is so entertaining." I said not taking my eyes of the fight. All the varsity and freshman started fighting and hitting each other. I just stayed back and watched everything go down.

All of a sudden the rink lights turned on and my head snapped to the front of the room. "Freeze!" Orion yelled and blew his whistle. No one stopped, so he skated over. "Break it up!" He yelled over all the noise. He went through and pried the boys off of each other. "It's a damn good thing i'm not your coach. Now, get your team out of here now!" He pushed rick away and they all skated out quickly.

"This isn't the Peewees. Your little Duck tricks aren't gonna work at this level. Now, for the last time stay away from the varsity. And get those duck jerseys off now." He demanded and everyone sighed and took them off. I looked over at Charlie who i knew wasn't going to listen and he looked at me. "Come on, please." I mouthed to him and he shook his head. "Stubborn, bitch." I mumbled to myself.

"The ducks are dead." Orion spoke again and my eyes widen at the word choice. Very straightforward, I thought to myself. Hearing that kind of hurt. It was sad to think about, but true. Charlie stood there with his arms crossed and we all just started at him like he was crazy.

"You've got two choices, Conway. Take off the jersey right now or you don't play." Coach Orion looked at the boy, waiting. "You're breaking up the best thing any of us ever had." Charlie shook his head and Orion sighed. "Well, it's time to grow up."

"Grow up? Like you huh? A washed-up pro who has to show off to a bunch of kids. Geez, that's real grown up." Charlie skated towards the man and my heart almost dropped hearing what he said. Bombay told me about Orion and his daughter. I had a feeling charlie didn't know.

"Okay, goodbye, Conway. Anybody else?" Orion said annoyed and i rubbed my temples. Fulton slowly skated away with charlie and my mouth dropped a little. "Alright, goodbye, Fulton." He said and we watched them both skate away. "No one's forcing any of you to be here. It's your lives. You decide what to make of them." Orion looked around at all of us and then let out a breath.

"Alright, twenty laps, then hit the showers. Anderson, my office." He said and walked away. "Oh, shit." I sighed and walked towards his office. "Good luck." Aspen patted my back and i waved before walking in.

"As captain, i expected you to be against playing varsity until the proper time." He said blankly sitting down at his desk. "As captain, no one listens to me so why should it matter." I complained sitting in the chair in front of his desk. "I expected better from you as captain."

"Maybe whoever takes my slot will do a better job." I shrugged and stood up quickly. I'm not going to lie, i'm a little upset i won't be captain anymore. "I'm not giving your slot away. I was just going to let you know that we have a game coming up soon, so we need to make sure we practice as often as possible." He said slowly and I looked at him confused.

"You're not gonna let someone else be captain?"
I asked shocked. "No, you're the best captain i've never had. I'm not going to lie, you are. I really hope i don't have to give your slot away." He smiled a little, barley, but you can tell it was there. "Wow, thank you."

"Go get changed, we have practice later." He nodded and I left them room.

-

2000 words later and it's finally over.
that took forever to write, but oh well
updated bc we had a half day in school today so i have nothing else to do