|| 𝐑𝐮𝐩𝐞𝐫𝐭 ||

Start from the beginning

"How do you know it's from Jim?" She asked, narrowing her eyes.

"Your face is redder than my hair."

Samsa scowled at him playfully but answered his question. "I've been asked to dinner in his quarters tonight."

"I see," Mason grinned. "Have you guys ever talked about sharing quarters?"

"You mean like moving in together?"

"Yeah. You're there most nights anyway, right?"

Samsa never thought about it like that. Since she and Jim got back together again, they had been taking things relatively slow. They rarely talked about where their relationship was going, but she was more than happy to just enjoy their time in each other's company.

"I...I guess I am." Samsa cleared her throat and sent a speedy reply accepting Jim's offer. "It's something to think about, but we both like having our own space and I dread to think what other people-"

"Sams-" Mason cut her off and put his hands on her shoulders. "-you've been dating for almost a year. Don't let what other people say get in the way of the happiness you both deserve."

Samsa's face brightened and she pulled her friend into a tight hug. "Thank you," she whispered over his shoulder.

Mason seemed hesitant to return the embrace, making the blonde frown. When she pulled away, it became clear why. The front of her uniform was now smudged with different colours of paint.

"I was gonna warn you but it was too late," Mason cringed.

"That's alright," Samsa chuckled. She began making her way to the classroom door. "I've got to change anyway."

"How come?"

"Luna's been allowed to join the landing party on Alfa One-Seven-Seven, so I'm going with her."

Mason looked baffled but his face lifted into a wide smile. "She's allowed to leave the ship?"

"Only for a cigarette. She's been moaning nonstop about not being able to have any onboard," Samsa said, rolling her eyes. She adored Luna, but her smoking habit could be a real nuisance. "We've got to wrap up because the surface temperature gets colder towards the evening."

"Good," Mason said. "Oh, not the cold! The cold isn't good. I mean, it'll be good for her to...to...get out."

Samsa studied Mason's face as he spoke. He refused to meet her gaze, focussing instead on his feet as he shifted his weight between them. Seeing him like this was fairly new for the Sanguine.

Guilt. That was one emotion she could just about see on his face. The last thing Samsa wanted to do was force her friend to confide in her. She took a step towards him with a soft smile.

"Mason," she began. "Are you sure there's nothing else you want to talk about?"

"No, I'm fine. Just drenched in paint," he chuckled, glaring down at his colourful attire.

Despite his humorous tone, Samsa was unconvinced. "Fancy joining us for a short trip out? Luna said she missed you."

Mason's head snapped up. "She did?"

Samsa nodded, her lips lifting into a smile. She assumed Mason would take up her offer, but the man's face fell slightly after a moment.

"Maybe next time," he sighed. "I've still got to de-paint."

"Fair enough." Samsa started making her way to the door but paused to say one last thing before leaving. "Let me know if you change your mind."

☆☆☆