Epilogue - Part 8

Magsimula sa umpisa

* * *

I didn't immediately go to Jersey because she's busy with work. Although I liked staring at her when she's all serious, I knew also that she didn't like being bothered when she's working. Instead, I went to Yago—as if I had a choice! Vito's living his best life in Isabela and Sancho's well... living his life.

"What?" he asked.

"What?" I asked. I hadn't even said anything yet!

"Ano na naman kailangan mo?"

"Wow," I said.

"Aren't you busy with wedding preparation?" he asked.

"No," I said. "That's literally what wedding coordinators are for," I replied.

Life's been shitty for so long. My head aches whenever I'd think about everything we've been through in the last years. If I could give anything just to erase those things? I definitely would. I didn't think any of the therapies I attended really ever helped with the fact that I caused people to lose their life. Because sometimes, when I close my eyes, I still hear the cries of those kids when they asked me if their dads would come back.

It would forever haunt me.

I'd never be okay with it.

So, I couldn't understand why my mother thought that I could easily forgive her... just because she's my mother... when I couldn't even forgive myself.

"Are you set?" I asked because the wedding's this weekend.

Jersey and I traveled the world for a while. I asked Jersey to put in a list all the countries she wanted to go to and since then, we'd been going through that list one country at a time. Traveling is fun—and it's even better when you're traveling with your better half. It's like the experience becomes even better. I mean, I liked traveling with my friends, but I could say for certain now that I liked traveling with Jersey the best. She's hilarious. She's so fun to be with. There's never a dull moment with her. I honestly would forever thank God that He chose her for me. It's like I got the best one.

"It's Tuesday."

"I know," I said.

"The wedding's this weekend," he said. "Niko," he suddenly said.

"Yeah?"

"Dad."

I groaned. Seriously! What's with parents and today?

"What?" I asked.

"He was asking..." he continued. I just continued to stare at him. I was still undecided about Tito Yael... I knew him growing up—I was never a fan. Sure, he was 'fun,' but I also saw how sad he made Tita Ylenna. I just could never get onboard with that. I thought he was just the same with my dad.

"If he can meet Jersey—"

"Can I talk to him first?"

"I'll ask," Yago said.

I nodded. "Thank you."

"But you do know that I won't ask this of you if I didn't talk to him first, right?" Yago asked.

I nodded. "I know."

"I already told him that he can't use Jersey to get back in the family's good graces."

I rolled my eyes. "Good graces?"

Yago nodded. "Yeah... knowing that she'll marry you. And you know you're Abuela's favorite friend of mine."

I groaned. "Well, tell Abuela that I think I'm gonna get disowned," I said because the last time I talked to my mother, I saw how disappointed and sad and angry she was with me. I seriously wouldn't be surprised if she'd cut me off the will...