Epilogue - Part 7

Epilogue – Part 7

"Can I just skip?" I asked Sancho while he was practically dragging me to the venue.

"Pukpok ko sa ulo mo 'yung Rules of Court," he replied.

Today's the oath taking. Mom called me twice last week. She texted me yesterday asking if I wanted her to go. I didn't reply. I didn't know if I wanted her there... but I couldn't bring myself to tell her that because I knew that she wanted to be there for me. But I didn't want to see her. Seeing her would remind me of everything I wanted to forget.

Sometimes, silence should mean no.

And leave it at that.

Vito said that he'd just meet us at the venue. But when we arrived, he was not yet there. Sancho called him to ask where he was because before we could officially become lawyers, we still needed to take the oath and sign the roll.

Me? I just wanted to get drunk.

"Where's he?" I asked because if I needed to be here and to suffer, Vito should be here as well. It's what friends are for.

"Shanelle," he replied.

"Oh," I said and left it at that. We just waited quietly for Vito to arrive. Sancho and I probably looked so out of place here because I saw a lot of families. They looked happy—good for them, really. I just really realized how being happy is a privilege that shouldn't be taken for granted. It's hard to be happy. It takes a lot of work.

But then there were people without family—like us.

Sancho didn't invite his family although I heard Rome wanted to go here. I didn't want my family here. Vito? I didn't think they were very interested with him being a lawyer. Still, his dad believed that this was just a 'phase' in Vito's life.

We really lucked out with our parents.

After a while, Vito finally arrived. He was wearing his barong like us.

"How's Shanelle?" I asked.

"Bad," he replied.

I didn't say anything after that because really, what else was there to say? That one had a lot of pride—it must've really hurt when she failed the BAR.

And as much as I wanted to tell her that it's fine and no one's judging her for failing, I knew that it's none of my business. It's something that only she could deal with. All I told her was that if she needed someone to talk to or to drink with, she should hit me up.

We went inside and went to our respective seats. I saw a lot of familiar faces, but I was in no mood to socialize. I only thanked them when they congratulated me about topping the BAR. I knew I should be happy about this... but I really was in no celebratory mood. I knew that the only reason why I was able to top the BAR was because I had no choice but to concentrate on studying.

I didn't think I'd ever be able to be proud about topping the BAR whilst fully knowing what it took to reach that point.

"This won't be possible without my partner," Iñigo said that made me roll my eyes. "Some may say that it's because of my hard work, but we both know that you're really the reason why I'm here. Thank you for taking care of me. Thank you for the late-night reviews. Thank you for staying up late so that I won't be alone reviewing. Thank you for the random pop quiz. Thank you for feeding me always. Thank you for making sure that I'd be at my best. Thank you for staying. Thank you for pushing me to be the best version of myself... And just thank you... for believing in me when I doubted myself."

"I didn't need to hear that," I told Vito.

He nodded. "I know."

Sancho just rolled his eyes and shook his head.