Chapter 14 Second Time Around

Start from the beginning

Apart from his worry that Ki Rai might have hurt herself, he didn't think much about the incident even when he told Ye Jin what happened. The couple simply assumed that Ki Rai had been playing in their room and had somehow fallen into the luggage. From then on, Hyun Bin paid close attention to keeping his luggage properly in case Ki Rai ever stumbled into their room again.

Things became a little peculiar when the couple found Ki Rai in Hyun Bin's luggage time and time again after that incident. There were times when they would search for their littlest, only to find her curled up in the luggage. Yet, when they took her out, she would only toddle back into the luggage stubbornly.

One time, they even found Ki Rai and Mina asleep together on top of his folded clothes that were thankfully soft enough to offer some padding to their child.

With that said, they would be lying if they claimed that sight didn't cause their hearts to ache greatly. Those repeated incidents of Ki Rai and the luggage was in fact her attempt at stopping her father from leaving. Ye Jin knew that and so did Hyun Bin. Unfortunately, things were out of their hands.

That didn't stop them from giving their children just a little bit more of their love, or as much as they could give them, just to assure them that they would get through everything together.

Still, that didn't explain the tragedy behind the second time.

Every brave façade that they tried to present around their children and vice versa crumbled on the night where Hyun Bin was due at the airport for a midnight flight that would take him away from his family.

The most prominent change was in their youngest, who had been reduced back to a baby koala as she clung to her father, locking his neck in her embrace. The waterworks only started when Hyun Bin tried to pry Ki Rai's hands from his neck, such that he could actually see if their baby was doing alright.

Unfortunately, that wasn't how Ki Rai interpreted it. To their youngest, it was as though Hyun Bin was desperate to leave her behind. Still, she refused to budge, and every minute Hyun Bin spent struggling with her tight hold meant that she was getting increasingly frustrated. It didn't help that she felt betrayed by her father's departure.

Meanwhile, Ye Jin was facing a similar problem in their car ride home from the kindergarten. Granted neither Eun Ae nor Jeong Eun was bawling their eyes out, but there was a certain solemness that punctuated the air around them.

Whenever a car ride was this silent, it was never good news. In most cases, it was because the children had fought in school, or one of them had a bad day. In rare cases, it was because the children could sense that Ye Jin was in a foul mood or that they were in trouble.

This time, it all boiled down to one thing. Hyun Bin's departure.

After days of countdowns, the children were well aware of what the night meant for the family. Almost selfishly, they didn't want their father to leave again. The first time was hard enough.

Still, they both knew there was no use in throwing a tantrum, for it would only make their parents worry about their next few weeks apart. However, that didn't stop them from feeling sad, which was why neither of them spoke the entire ride home.

Even when Ye Jin made a quick stop with them at their favourite ice-cream café in an attempt to cheer them up, they couldn't muster a smile. Eun Ae was pouting the whole time and barely ate any of the ice-cream sundaes they had purchased.