Distractions

I ignored all of James' calls and feel good about it. I know he'll definitely try to talk to me after work, so I was hoping maybe I'd get to leave earlier after doing all the paperwork. And I even skipped lunch, so I could finish the work as fast as possible. Now all I have to do is ask Mister Haynes.

"Come in." He says behind the door and I step in, closing the door afterwards. He immediately turns around. Seems like he was watching the city, standing by his huge window. I place the paperwork on his desk and he eyes it impressed.

"Sir, I finished this. And I wanted to ask if I could leave the office earlier today? A family emergency came up." I lie, knowing without a reason, he wouldn't let me leave.

"Well, you did do what I asked you to. Go ahead." He nods and I nod and leave, before he changes his mind. I pass Rina's desk and look back towards my boss' office. The door is still closed.

"When are you going home?" I ask her and she smiles.
"I'm leaving in half an hour." She says and I nod when she gives me her car keys.

"Wait in there, you can go grab some lunch, but at exactly four o'clock I'll be leaving." She says and I nod, taking the keys and quickly getting out of the building. My stomach grumbles and I really need to eat something.

+++

After I had a quick lunch, I walk back to the parking lot, where Rina's car is parked. I wait for her in the car, so no one sees me, especially not Mister Haynes. Mister Haynes... It still feels odd to call him Mister Haynes or sir. He's just so young. I mean, older than me, but still.

I duck my head when I see James' car pull up. What is he doing here? I wouldn't even be done this early? He parks the car a few steps away from Rina's and steps out. He looks around and leaves for the staircase. Minutes later Rina gets in her car and I hand her the keys.

"So, where to?" I ask her and she turns on the engine.
"I thought we'd visit my brother. You haven't seen each other in a while and I know for a fact that you miss each other." She says and I immediately smile. Rina's brother, Jason is amazing. He's a really fun person to be around.

"Well-" I get interrupted by the door to the staircase being opened rather loudly. I turn my head to look at James and Mister Haynes, shaking hands. I frown at the scene. What are they doing? I see James put an envelope into his jacket and leave Mister Haynes at the bottom of the stairs.

I watch James speed off and look back at Mister Haynes, who is looking at our car. I ducked, so there is no way he could see me. I see Rina gulp and she quickly speeds off as well. I sigh after we made a turn, so we wouldn't be able to see Mister Haynes.

"What was that?" I ask, buckling up my seat belt.
"How am I supposed to know? It's your boyfriend, not mine." She says and I sigh. Do I really want to know?