Mr. Haynes

Seven years later...

I can't believe he's dead. He was like every other person in this room. He did sports every now and then, he ate healthy, even healthier than me. God he even was better than me. Why would he die? His life was perfect. His wife loved him to the moon and back and his son too.

I'm currently standing in front of more than 150 people and telling a story about how amazing Peter Montgomery was. How he changed my life. And how unfair it is to take such an innocent soul away from its family.

My boss died. He fucking died. Hell to the title he was like a father to me. More than just a boss. He was like somebody else, who would protect me from the monsters under my bed. He was like somebody who would even kill his own son for looking at me. He was like a father.

After the funeral we went back to the Montgomery's mansion. I love the Montgomery's. They saved me from choosing the wrong way when I was confused. Exactly six years ago, Peter employed me. He let me stay by his side to show me the business and preparing me for the job as his secretary. I loved being his secretary. James, my boyfriend would always pick me up and talk to him while I was getting ready.

"Do you want to be alone, or can we talk?" I turned around to look at James.
"Come in." I said as I watched him sitting down on the seat opposite of me.

"It's like a dream. A nightmare. I can't believe he's dead."
He reached out for my face but I backed away. I don't want anybody touching me right now.
"Mia, let me touch you."
"No, not right now."

His eyes darken and his neck grows red.
"Mia, he's not your dad for fucks sake. I'm sad too, but he's nothing to us. Don't be so stubborn and come here!"
He's yelling. He drank again. I should have known better. With one step he was in front of me. His hand rising, his other one tight on my waist. That's when it went blurry.

+++

Today is a new day. I needed two weeks to realize that Mister Montgomery wouldn't want to see me like this. He would like to see me moving on and smiling.

Today is my first workday in like three weeks. I'm excited, I'm not gonna lie. I got a message from my best friend and colleague Rina, saying that the boss hasn't showed up yet. That means I got a little more time since I'm late because I had to cover my bruises on my neck and face.

Smiling I stepped in the building, smelling the good old smell of new books. I never knew why it smelled like a library in here but I ain't complaining, I love it. I greeted Jonathan, the receptionist and stepped in the elevator. One minute later I reached my work area. The boss - area.

"Girl you're so lucky he ain't here yet. Where have you been? Imagine how bad it would look to come late at the first time seeing your new boss." She hissed. I love Rina. She's like a big sister to me.

"I know, I'm sorry. James... it happened again." Her eyes widened. Rina always knew that James abuses me when he's drunk. He's always told me he would stop but he didn't. And now I'm just with him when he needs me, because I tried to leave him. I really did, but he always got me back.

"Mia I told you before. You don't need him. Why would you still stay by his side if he hurts you like that. Bitch, nobody's that good in bed!" I think she didn't realize how loud she said the last part, but I did and let me tell you, everybody else.

The elevator opens and a handsome guy walks out, interrupting our little conversation. Did I say handsome? Damn that guy is more than just handsome. His eyes dark green, his dark hair perfectly styled but yet messy, his defined jawline covered in a beard and he is dressed in an expensive looking suit, hiding his probably muscular body.

After I'm done checking him out I look around and see everybody doing the same thing I just did seconds ago but way more obvious. It's funny because the guys do the same but just with less drool.

My eyes fall on his face and there I notice his steel hard gaze on me. But it's more than uncomfortable. He's like killing me already, without even knowing me. Did he find out I came late? How?!

Oh well, so much to a good first impression.