"Yeah, that's what the immediate consensus came to," Nicky replied with a sigh.

With a glance at Jess, I asked, "Did you keep yourself out of trouble last night?"

Nicky cackled. "I kept her so busy she didn't even get to go to bed until after the sun set! We went for a jog, picked herbs, did some archery with Luke, and then I left her and Luke in the lab with Nina."

"It's quite easy to lose track of time in there," Luke commented. "Time flies when you're busy."

"I fully agree," Nina replied with a smile.

We reached the dining hall, and Luke and I went to sit at the table while everyone else grabbed some breakfast.

"I assume you're helping in the lab today?" I asked Luke.

"Yes. You won't see much of Jess or me for the next few days since we'll be helping Nina. We're rearranging some rooms in the lab so we can work on several large batches at once. We did a lot last night, but there's more left to do."

"Aren't you worried about working in close proximity with the cure?"

"Not really. Like many drugs, it isn't airborne. It has to be injected, although someone could supposedly swallow a large dose, which I have no intention of doing."

By now, the others were sitting down.

"You're not helping out?" I asked Daniel.

He shook his head. "I'll bring them anything they ask for or pin as many of the feral Runners as they want, but my ability to manage such precise steps is a lot like my ability to cook. In other words, unless it's easy and pretty much foolproof, you don't want me touching it. Since peoples' lives could depend on these drugs, I will be keeping my hands far away from it."

As if reciting something, Jess said, "Diamonds form under pressure, and dough rises when you let it rest. What you excel at might cripple someone else." She shrugged. "Or something like that. I forget the exact words."

"It fits," Luke said with an approving nod. "I'm the kind of person who prefers to work slowly and steadily, but I know many others who actually like the hustle and bustle of pressure and deadlines."

"I'm glad I'm not part of it," I said, shaking my head.

"Actually," Jess said, hastily swallowing a mouthful of food, "we're hoping to get more of your saliva, but we didn't want to disturb you last night."

"I said I'd kick their butts if they tried bothering you," Nicky muttered as she spread some jam on a piece of toast.

"We wouldn't have asked last night," Nina reassured me. "Besides, we won't reach the stage where we use it until this afternoon."

"Since when do you ask for that sort of thing?" I asked Jess, gazing at her quizzically. She played with plants. Not zombie blood or saliva.

"Nina felt bad for asking for the tears," Nicky volunteered shamelessly, "so Jess offered to ask for the saliva for her."

Both of their faces became flushed as they gave Nicky a look that clearly wished she would have remained silent.

"We can do it after you finish eating," I told the embarrassed duo.

"Thanks," Nina said, readjusting her plate in front of her as she regained her composure. "I don't want to impose, but would you also consider letting me collect some oils from your skin? It just involves running a stiff piece of plastic along your arm to collect some of the residue."

I gave her a long look.

Jess quickly swallowed her mouthful. "Please?" She gave me big, puppy-dog eyes. "Daniel and Luke already let us take some oils off their arms, but they figure it'd be best to check each rank."