"Yes."

She smiled triumphantly. "Then we're set."

"Besides," Nicky added, "they didn't want you chopping wood until your arm healed."

"My arm is just fine," I grumbled.

"Yeah, well, they aren't so convinced." Nicky shrugged. "But Luke is definitely the biggest conversation starter right now."

"People are excited," Jess said. "I heard someone was looking for help building some sort of special rabbit hutch for Luke, and he got over fifty volunteers within half an hour."

I smirked. "I might be guilty for starting that project. I'll have to find out when they plan to build it and go lend a hand."

"Nope," Nicky declared. "Change of plans. They're going to start early tomorrow, but I warned them there will be too many people in that tiny area for you. If you want to keep ferals at bay, go for it, or you can visit Luke and keep him company."

I huffed as she dismissively tossed my original plan right out the window. "I told them I was willing to help."

"I can't figure out how so many people are going to build a small shed without tripping over one another or whacking someone with a hammer," Nicky said. "And with your love of big, noisy groups of people, I'm also fairly certain you'd take one look at that crowd and vacate the area."

"A big part of their excitement is because it's for Luke," Nina said, calmly buttering a piece of bread, "but a small part of it is because it was you who asked for it. Rumors about Louise slipping you the controlex are starting to circulate, and they're upset at what she did. They're trying to prove they aren't like her."

"Upset. Right." Nicky rolled her eyes. "Let's be honest. They're downright furious. If she returns, she isn't going to have a warm welcome unless it involves fire. But, it isn't just that they're trying to make up for Louise's actions. This is also one of the first physical objects you've ever asked for, and it's for Luke as well, so..." she trailed off and shrugged as if their enthusiasm should have been expected.

Jess nudged her elbow into my side playfully. "Well? Do you feel appreciated yet?"

"Behave, or I'm going to push you off your chair."

She laughed and took a drink of water, unaware of just how close her words had come to hitting the mark.

To change the topic, I turned my attention to Daniel. "I noticed you weren't inside the fence much today."

"I was doing a thorough patrol. There were also some stubborn zombies that refused to be lured away by the quads, so I had to force them into a trailer and help the driver dump them into the ravine."

"Aren't there other ways to lure zombies away?" Jess asked, tilting her head.

Daniel nodded and began going over the various methods Ironwind used, as well as the dangers of each one. Lunch slowly wrapped up, and we went outside.

"Happy weed picking!" Nicky said as she skipped away.

"They're herbs! Not weeds!" Jess exclaimed.

"If I planted them in a field and didn't tell anyone, they'd be pulled," Nicky called back over her shoulder.

With a sigh, I told Jess, "Go grab your stuff, and I'll get the side-by-side."

"Okay." She started jogging to the secondary building.

The paint fumes had cleared enough to be bearable, but I wasted no time in backing the side-by-side out of the garage and parking it beside the secondary building.